Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Smiles

Sara has had quite an eventful couple of days. All in a good way, mind you.

Her high school robotics team had a fundraiser pasta feed last night and I asked her earlier in the week if she was ready to get out and see people again. She gave me an emphatic yes blink and when I asked her if she was sure she gave me a very long yes blink. I think the girl was truly ready.

So yesterday I raced home from working late, wrestled her into actual clothes, packed her and her gear into the truck and off we went. I have to say, that it was not the most organized move, and certainly not graceful, but I got her there (and back.) Note to self: must look into wheelchair van...

She looked great. Her face was beaming, her eyes sparkling. She smiled and laughed at seeing familiar and happy faces. The first face she shined for was Dr. Immel. As soon as she saw him she started moving her head and laughing. Then she saw Mr. Weaver and soon many faces, known and new, were coming to greet her. We tried to stay as low key as possible, but that's hardly possible after everything that has gone on and wheeling a giggling quadriplegic around the room.

We took up a place near one of the walls, so I could plug in her speech computer. That turned out to be a lost cause, as she had to focus on it to communicate anything and could barely hear anyone talking to her due to the ambient noise in the room. I soon abandoned her even worrying about it and went back to straight blinks and being able to look around and take it all in.

I know it was a lot for her to take in and process. It was even a lot for me. People I didn't even know were coming up and telling her how they've been following her progress, how well she looks, and offering best wishes. Of course, everyone we do know came by and were thrilled to see her out and looking so well and happy. She truly was sparkling and joyous to be there.

And then she got a surprise. Walking up to her was Daniel. He was so surprised to see her out and there. They talked for a few minutes and despite being right there I tried to tune myself into the goings on around the room. It is obvious there continues to be a deep connection between the two of them and I have to trust that they will navigate it however needed. She was genuinely happy to see him and told me later she was surprised when he walked up.

After a little over an hour there I could see that the event (and everything it took to get her there) was starting to show to me. So I grabbed her brother and we hauled her back into the truck. He rode his bike home and helped me get her back out and into bed. She was exhausted and, quite frankly, so was I after all that. But I felt so good that I could do that for her, get her out among friends and things familiar, comforting. It has been over a year since she saw most of those people, or worn actual clothes for that matter, or participated in something other than her own care. It was a very nice time for her and me both.

When I put her to bed I asked her if she was glad we went. A big smile came across her face and then a yes blink. Me, too, I told her. It was so nice to see her so happy.

I kissed her goodnight and closed the door to her room and felt the warm flow of recognition go through me - she has come so far and she's doing alright. She's ready to be back out in the world as she is, and as she continues to fight to overcome this. And she needs that socialization and exposure. And, although there are going to be people who stare, and people who she knows who find it difficult to look at her or find ways to relate to her past her current condition, it is more important that she work towards her goals while still living her life. She's ready. And taking her first step, er, outing, among those who have supported her and grown up with her, witnessed her grow, educated her, and stood with her family and held good thoughts when she was so damaged and sick, was perfect. She was able to be there to help support her brother and robotics and see people she cares about, and they could all see her.

And the pasta wasn't that bad either...

10 comments:

  1. I was so glad to see Sarah at the Pasta Feed. I could tell she was happy when "Glory Angel" ( the team robot) was wheeled up to her. Many people don't that Team 675 named our award winning robot after Sarah for last season. We were proud to do so and look forward to the time she can come see up compete.
    Keep up the great work Sarah - Team 675 is very proud of you for everything you have accomplished.

    Meri Melani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristina! It sounds like it was quite a girls night out! That is incredible! I was talking with my girlfriend in FL and she said that the cost of the van can be covered by insurance. Maybe you already know that, but wanted to pass it along just in case you didn't. I am trying to pass the information along so that we can get donations to help Sara get her equipment. I love how not only she, but you are tackling this head on and have such positive outlooks on this whole getting Sara out and mainstream life as best and as fast as you can. Beautiful! You are an amazing woman with a daughter of like spirit! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like you had a blast! :D That must have been so great! :3

    Someone on DA posted some info I thought might be helpful to you guys: http://comments.deviantart.com/2/61512/884662676 There's a lot of replies on the news article and we are more than half way now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear what a fun outing you all had! I bet it made her feel more alive to see her friends and especially Daniel again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sara And Mom ^_^ Must show love to you both *hugs* I'm glad that she is getting back out there and getting to see the ones that love and care for her. You both deserved that ladies night out. As soon as my new job takes off i would love to come over and see Our Lovely Angel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you don't know me, but I'm a fellow Deviant, and I found the article..

    I am so happy Sara is doing well, and I thank her for being strong, and I also left a comment on her Deviant art page [I am Shinigamixx].. I'd like (if you can) to read it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just fyi, a donation came 'love, mum'
    That was my mother in law who thought the money was coming to me first ;P She hadn't had her coffee yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great to hear that she's making good progress

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that Sarah had fun, sounds like it was a total blast honestly.
    I never got a chance to get to know Sarah myself on dA but I read about a lot on the news article there and have been supporting you and everything the best I can from my position. Last I checked they were almost to the goal :)

    I wish you all much love, luck, hugs, and happy wishes.

    -Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sara and crew :)
    You don't know me, I came across your story on deviant art.

    It took me half the day but I read every blog post here.

    Your story is truly inspirational. Never underestimate the power of a determined mind. So many thing you were told you wouldn't do, and here you are doing them.

    I'm so glad you are back home and doing well.
    I will be checking for updates to this blog to see how you are getting on.

    My thoughts are with you all.

    :)

    ReplyDelete