Sunday, December 28, 2008

How we celebrate the Season

Michael making the Christmas calls with Sara.

I have a love-hate relationship with the holiday season. I love the season itself, but hate the commercialization and how crazy it makes most people. It is supposed to be a time of family, of joy, of peace. I run around singing christmas carols, happy to be singing. I walk through the store as harried people grab ingredients on the run and I take my time and smile. I enjoy seeing the sweet things of Christmas out and around.

But how we celebrate the season has slowly evolved away from the conspicious consumption and pressure-laden crush of the calendar. We've always celebrated the different parts of our heritage (Swedish, German, Jewish) as components, but never as a whole. Since I got custody of Michael and Sara, however, we have incorporated more of the elements of our heritage as complete parts. For example, we celebrate Christmas as the Kolliners did at Sunnycrest, incorporating the Swedish elements brought from the Blomquists, and we also celebrate Chanukah. The last couple of years, however, we have taken the time to learn what the Christmas season is really supposed to be - a season. And, we found that it does not end on Christmas Day - it actually starts on Christmas Day.

While researching the "Twelve Days of Christmas" I found that it runs from Christmas Day to January 6th when the 12th Night Feast would be held. It would encompass the celebration of the birth of Christ with the coming of the new year and the passing of the Winter Solstice and end in a feast on the 12th Night. So, I thought that was more appropriate then starting our Christmas season after Thanksgiving. Nobody knew Jesus was going to be born until he actually was. The celebrations of which started that night. Seems to make more sense to me. So, we as a family adopted it and have made it a tradition.

We've never really done any preparation before Christmas Eve. We have for years gotten the tree on Christmas Eve, decorated it that night, and kept it up into early January. In reading about Christmas with the Kolliners at Sunnycrest that is basically what they would do. But they would cut down the tree a week or two ahead of time, stash in the basement, and bring upstairs on Christmas Eve. This year I was the last person at a tree lot in Graton before they closed for the season. I cut down a 15' tree, picked juniper branches from a huge pile of cuttings and found Mistletoe on a tree. They guys were so nice. Amazed that I cut that tree down myself and managed to drag it through the grove myself, they gave me the entire order for $45. I couldn't believe it. You should see this tree. So beautiful.

Sara wanted us to put up every decoration we have, and wanted a big tree. Well, we have the biggest tree we've ever had and every ornament is on it. The living room is just beautiful. I hand-made all the juniper garland for the stairs and front door. And I made a mistletoe ball for above the door. Her face lit up when she saw the tree, bare of ornaments still, but huge. Just what she wanted. We didn't have any presents under the tree this year, but we had a tree. A beautiful tree. Makes me smile just to walk in the living room. She loves being in there with it.
So, during this season we will keep up our tree, welcome friends into our home (like we always do anyway) and I will bake and tell stories about family memories from Christmases past. On Christmas morning I made the traditional breakfast from Sunnycrest. On Christmas night I made a jewish dinner of braised brisket, latkas, apple sauce, creamed peas and we talked about what Chanukah means. On Christmas eve we trimmed the tree, ate hamburger helper and I gave the kids each a small present and talked about what Christmas means. The night after Christmas I gave the kids each a jar of Nutella and we talked about what chocolate means. :) (Sara can't smell right now, but she can taste...so she got a little off my finger.) I normally do a Christmas ham for the Swedish tradition and stick a knitting needle in it with a red ribbon and write Glad Jul on it in mustard - serve with red potatoes and white sauce, the day after Christmas. Finances are too tight to keep up with too much celebrating, so I'll just bake some more of the Christmas breads and cookies from Germany, Sweden, and Norway like my Grandmother used to do. The kids love it when I bake and would rather that I baked something new each day during the season then all at once. So, that's what I'm doing. It certainly takes the pressure off (financially and otherwise) and gives us a chance to share the experience and enjoy the time together.
The rest of our family will be seeing Christmas cards coming what most consider to be late. Its not an oversight from us, but a sincere desire to share our best wishes while we celebrate peace, joy and hope together.
And now, for some pictures!

Nice big open space. (Sara's piano is out being repaired. More on that later.)

Wow that is tall. Taking the netting off of the tree.

Net is off. Look at the beauty!

Sara wanted to come out to the living room after the tree was up so she could watch us decorate...we didn't want her peeking.


She was so happy she was giggling when she saw the tree and saw how big it was. I asked her if it was what she was wanting and she answered "yes" with eye blinks.

Here's the floor around Sara after the tree fell on my head. No pix of me under the tree. But I felt a lot like the wicked witch under the house in the Wizard of Oz... We lost about half of the ornaments to breakage - but they were old glass balls. We only lost a couple of special ornaments.

But...we didn't lose the Christmas Gherkin!!! (Swedes rejoice!)





Share with us how you celebrate the season and I'll read it to Sara.
Glad Jul!



















2 comments:

  1. Hehe what a great story, thanks mom! For Christmas Eve, we went to my mom's family's party in Tyngsboro at my Uncle Johnny's. Mostly it's just hanging out and talking to everyone. It was really nice to see the family and we had ham and turkey in a kind of 'serve yourself' style. That side of the family isn't big on formalities, they just want to party :D

    Christmas morning we went to Steve's mother's for brunch with his parents, his brother and his grandmother. That's where we exchange gifts. It was a lot of fun especially because I was really excited about the presents I got for Steve. I am always so happy when I can think of something for him. This year it was a nice smartwool hat, Wii straps in colors from Japan and a "Life if Good" mug in his favorite style (his old one broke). In the afternoon we went to his Uncle's house for the Forde Family Christmas Dinner. We had ham and roast beef in a more traditional sit down way. Then there was some more gift giving. Eventually, we were all cuddled up in the living room playing Catch Phrase. :3

    Religion doesn't play a big part in my holiday season, but I am a spiritual person so I can feel it and reflect on it in my own way. I also have a love hate relationship with the holidays because I love seeing family and being with everyone, but it is a little sad when I think of all the people that aren't with us anymore. Still, being with the ones your love is the best way to remember those people, so in the end it kind of works out :D

    Thanks for the story mom! Sara: if I can figure out how to use my DVD burner, I will have some awesome stuff coming your way soon!

    Did the second plushie arrive okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. O_O That is a huuuge tree! No wonder Sara's reaction was astounded, I would've been too!
    We didn't do much for Christmas except drive 8 hours to Ohio to see my husband's family and then take the horrid trip back. The scenery was beautiful in the mountains though and at one rest stop on a very high point, you could see practically everything! Had to get take a picture it was so pretty but it was very cold and windy up there.
    Glad to hear that you're Xmas was great! How's the fundraiser for the new technology coming along though? I would love to hear the status on that. :)

    ReplyDelete