Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I know people are craving updates

I'm sorry I have gotten so behind on keeping up. If I get any further behind I'll be ahead.

Ok. Sara is medically doing very well. No infections, fevers, etc. Her spirits have been pretty up, as she is starting to look forward to coming home.

As you can see, that is the main goal. I've given the discharge planners everything they were asking for towards getting the plan in place to bring her home. It is still set for her to go to Kaiser Vallejo for family training, but when is another question.

I put a chart up on her wall last week with what has to happen for her to come home. There is a list of stuff for Sara to do, a list for the discharge planners, for the medical staff, and a list for Mom. I have done all but two items on my list, and they will be done tomorrow.

I'll write it down and post it up here, so you guys can watch the progress of her coming home, too.

Basically, we got to the six month point and I said "cluck it...we're done...let's get you home." They're not doing anything significant for her. We will.

Many people have been giving me the "you don't know what you're getting yourself into" talk and I understand they mean well. Nobody has offered me a viable alternative to it. Its not better for her to go to another nursing home. Rehab won't take her. Acute care is more than she needs. And living the rest of her life in a hospital bed is just not going to happen. She deserves better.

So, that is the plan, the goal, the focus. I just want her home. She just wants to be home. It'll be hard, but I can take that kind of hard. The driving, gas costs, and short time I get to see her is just too much. This way, no driving, no gas costs, more time with her. Win. Win. Win. She gets to be where she wants, with her animals and family, and encouraged and helped to go further. Win. Win. Win.

And, with her closer, other people will get an opportunity to help with her. Many people have volunteered and want to, but the hospital environment has been quite prohibitive.

Anyway, there is the current. I'm trying to get time to keep up. Had some nice big issues at work (database blowing up and launching some major projects), and the drive is really starting to wear on me. So, i've just been walking past my computer on my way to sleep lately.

My mother-out-law is about to get on a plane and come out and kick my ass if I don't keep the entries up. I'm with her on this one. I do like to share. Anybody want to donate a couple of extra hours in the day to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment