Friday, May 2, 2008

Six months 7 days

She did the most amazing thing yesterday.

I mentioned before that she's been lifting her hands up off the bed (make fists, shakes a lot, but they get up off the bed and she is WORKING it.). Well, yesterday she held the sheets with her left hand and lifted up only her right arm, then (shakily) moved it until she could put her hand down on mine. We both cried. I remember the first time she reached out to me as a baby and took my hand, and this was even more meaningful. It is so different from picking up and holding her hand. To see her working so hard for something as sweet and simple as holding hands - and then to feel the warmth and weight of her hand touch mine - overwhelming.

We spent the rest of the evening watching TV and holding hands.

That's way better than stopping to smell the roses...

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to think of such a tragic accident as being an opportunity -- but rarely does a mother have the opportunity to be so moved by her young adult child through such a simple, beautiful act. Blessings come in strange ways sometimes. I am so very happy for your blessings.
    Carol McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read some of the journal entries on deviantart.com. I am glad to hear that she is doing so well. I wish you the best and I hope that she fully recovers so I can talk to her on deviantart.com and get to know her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her hard work is, and will continue to, pay off! Congrats to both you and Sara! She is in our thoughts and prayers, even all these months later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such incredible progress...We all knew she WOULD do it, she has such a drive and a strong will. You should post some updated pictures of her, its lovely to see how she is doing.

    ReplyDelete