Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Communicating with Sara

She was just awake enough for me to communicate with her. How amazing...

for her, yes is down and no is up. That is because it is easier for her to look down than up right now, and that most questions will be yes answers (do you hurt? are you awake? etc.)

Mom: Sara, are you awake?
Sara: Yes
Mom: Are you in pain?
Sara: Yes. (then eyes went up and down, up down)
Mom: Sara. Are you trying to tell us "a lot" by moving your eyes up and down over and over?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Ok. I understand. Bear with me, we have to learn how to talk to each other. We'll do it. Its ok.
Mom: Can you help us figure out where you hurt?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Is it your hand?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Is it only your hand?
Sara: No.
Mom: Is it your head?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Is it your chest?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Is it everywhere?
Sara: Yes.
Nurse-Carlo: Sara. You say you hurt. Can you tell me if you hurt?
Sara: Yes.
Nurse-Carlo: Ok, Sara. I will let the team know and get you some pain medication.
(sara tried to open her eyes)
Mom: Sara. Can you open your eyes?
Sara: (opens eyes slightly-eyes moving)
Nurse-Carlo: Sara. Can you open your eyes?
Sara: (opens eyes, closes, open eyes slightly...peeking out at us. eyes moving under lids)
Mom: That's great Sara! That's awesome. You can control your eyes.
Mom: Sara. I talked to Daniel. He misses you so much.
Sara: (eyes up and down a lot)
Mom: Are you trying to tell me you miss him a lot, too?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: I will tell him. I am sure he knows, but I will tell him.
Mom: I know this can be very tiring for you. I don't know if anyone has told you, but you are not paralyzed. We keep asking you to move your toes, fingers, etc. We ask this not because you are paralyzed, but because you aren't. Your injury affects your brain being able to talk to your muscles and make them move. Do you understand me?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Sara, is your cat blue?
Sara: No.
Mom: I know I ask you stupid questions, but I have to so we are sure we are communicating.
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Sara, we are going to keep down for yes and no for up from here on. I'm going to let everyone know. But, for right now, I'm going to let you rest. You have one job and that is getting better. But you are doing ok, we can talk to you, and we are here for you. Go to sleep and rest some. You need to heal. (closed Sara's eyes)

I rubbed her arm for a few minutes more and her heartrate settled, respirations evened out and she seemed to start resting.

Onward and Upward...

No comments:

Post a Comment