Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sara Communication

Sara started to move slightly and her vitals came up (respirations higher and heart rate higher) indicating that she was awake and aware.

Mom: Sara. If you are awake can you move something for me? Can you move something for me? Can you move your eyes under your lids if you are awake?
Sara: (moves eyes)
Mom: Sara, I'm going to open your eyes. (opens eyes) Hi Baby Girl.
Sara: Yes (probably Hi)
Mom: Hi sweetie. You're awake.
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Is the pain medication working?
Sara: Yes and No.
Mom: Are you telling me it is working some?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: But you still hurt?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Ok. Well, we can't give you a whole lot of pain medication, but we'll try and keep you comfortable.
Sara: Yes.
Mom: I know it hurts. I know you get tired, too.
Sara: Yes.
Mom: Its ok sweetie. Little bit here and there is just fine.
Sara: Yes.
Mom: So when we talk for right now i'm going to keep it short, ok?
Sara: Yes.
Mom: I'm going to close your eyes and let you rest. (closing eyes)
Sara: (opens eyes slightly)
Mom: oh, Sara, you can open your eyes. Can you open your eyes for me?
Sara: (opens eyes slightly, then closes)
Nurse-Carlo: Sara. Can you open your eyes?
Sara: (opens eyes slightly, moved her eyes slightly below lids)
Nurse-Carlo: Ok Sara, that's good.
Mom: Sara. You showed us you can open your eyes. And I know you get tired, sweetie. Can you open your eyes to let us know you want us to talk to you? I'm going to let you rest for a while, but when you want us to talk to you next can you open your eyes for me?
Sara: (slightly opens eyes, moves eyes)
Mom: Ok baby girl. We'll learn how to communicate. You tell us when you want us to talk to you...unless you are resting. Go to sleep baby girl. You're doing ok. You rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment