Monday, October 29, 2007

Shunt is in

Neurosurgery came by a little while ago and performed a surgical procedure in her room. I'll keep the squeamish details out, but basically they drilled a hole in her head, put in a tube and are allowing the pressure to come down and excess cerebriospinal fluid to drain. (btw--she has a Britney Spears haircut...remember the one from the picture of her getting it...and a nice lineup of franken-staples)

What had happened is that your brain circulates this fluid all around and through little chambers in the brain and throughout the spine. It is basically another closed-loop circulatory system. Well, one of the places that fluid collects and then drains out of got sort of clogged (due to swelling from her injuries) and the fluid started to build up.

When the fluid started to build up, the pressure started to build. This compressed very important control areas of her middle brain (specifically, the ones that control the heart) and it caused the heart to go a little wild.

So..with the procedure done she's stabilizing back again. She is still currently in a coma and on ventilator assistance. She is once again starting to breath spontaneously, but they have the ventilator doing the major work. So, she is starting to improve in that respect and will probably come very slowly out of the coma.

Now...hard part...very hard part. That being said...There is a very good chance that she won't come out of the coma at all. It is a very real possibility and I sit here holding my breath that she does. I have been forced to face many realities sitting here across the room from my precious daughter, and that is one of them that I (and we) cannot presently escape.

Its all up to her...and always has been.

I hope everyone out there is keeping the best thoughts coming towards her. She believes as I do that we are all in touch through our right consciousness. I firmly believe that if sent positive loving thoughts that she will receive them directly from you. I know I have felt many of them sent my way as well today, and are so very much appreciated.

K

3 comments:

  1. i know all of us hear are keeping her in out thoughts. We love her, and you all, dearly. We'll keep her in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara is in my prayers constantly. She is absolutely loved in our household. Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Chris Moore. My family and I are praying every day for Sera.

    I didn't get a chance to see her before she was moved. Hopefully when the time comes she's able to have visitors, we'll come see her then.

    ReplyDelete