Sunday, March 23, 2008

Eventful Friday and Saturday

Sara is back in the ICU. She kind of did a hard left turn on us the last two days.
Her lungs and traech are filling up with fluid and she is requiring almost constant suctioning. She feels like she can't get enough air or that she's drowning and it is very frightening to her. (hell, that feeling would be frightening to anyone.)

So, Dr. Hospitalist decided that it would be best to throw a battery of tests at her to make sure we weren't missing some bug, and move her back down to ICU. There the nursing ratio is 1 nurse to 2 patients, instead of 1 to 4. They also placed her within view of the nursing station.

Shortly after Michael and I left the F.I.R.S.T. Robotics Davis Regional I got a call from Mike (who spends every saturday with Sara). He said that the Dr. needed to talk to me. That's when it was decided it was best for her to move back down. Michael and I were there about 30 minutes later. It took another 7 hours to get her moved to ICU. In that time period, we all three took turns sucntioning her, moving her legs, and hanging out with her.

Once she got moved to ICU, I figured it'd be best if only one adult stayed. So, Mike took him and Michael home from the hospital. Sara and I, and two RTs, and two nurses, spent until 0500 trying to get her comfortable, suctioned enough and feeling better enough to sleep and let me go home.

I am exhausted. I promise to expand on the last two days after I wake up. But if I don't close my eyes right now my head will explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment