Sunday, March 9, 2008

Progress on all fronts...

I'm sitting here with a slight smile on my face. Slight only because I'm by myself at present. But I was sitting here, reflecting on the last two days, and some things are starting to look up.

First and foremose by far - Sara is fighting like hell. She coughs and pulls her head up off the pillow herself. Then, she starts doing neck curls. Moves her head up and down to the pillow until she can't any more. She is getting pretty good on the control and trying to keep it straight. Then, when she has some energy later, she is just rotating her head on the pillow side to side. Working those neck muscles.

Her dad told me that yesterday he noticed she was starting to bring her arms up to her chest, as well. After he said that I remembered her doing it the end of last week, but I was so focused on what she was doing with her head. He did say that her hands came all the way up, which they hadn't before.

She is also getting more tone into her arms and legs. When you move joints rapidly she resists it either way. When you hold her arm up over her head and drop it, it doesn't smack her in the head. (i wouldn't do it if it would...that would just be mean...) But she likes to see that she is getting some control.

Her face is doing much better. She is getting more control over her mouth, and has asked me to get her a mirror. She wants to be able to watch her face as she moves stuff. She is able to open and close her mouth. She opens her mouth a full two fingers high. She can bite my finger until she leaves marks. (and grins the whole time. the bite/no-bite game we used to play when she was a little girl.)


Second - we got a house. I have been sweating this for months and finally it fell into place. This house has two bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs, and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. Family room, dining, and kitchen all open to each other and a fairly good sized living room that we can setup rehab equipment in. The backyard is huge and all tore up. The owner has said I can do pretty much anything to it (that improves it, I am sure.) It has a rickety deck off the back and I can easily redo that to accomodate Sara being outside in the sunshine and fresh air. There is a two car garage and washer dryer hookups, storage upstairs. It will work nicely and its only slightly more expensive than my current place. (Insult to injury - I just got a rent increase there...)

Well, that's all I have time to update right now. I'm at work, finishing up on a database project that has been 14 monhths in the preparation. I am so happy to finally be getting the database cleaned up and merged. Ok...back to work...

1 comment:

  1. Kristina,
    I am so happy about all the positive changes that are coming about for you and Sara. Let me know if you need help moving.
    Carol McCabe

    ReplyDelete