Friday, March 7, 2008

Mel Brooks

I went up to see Sara today. With me, I brought my Xbox and most of my movies. I hooked up my Xbox and had Sara pick a movie out of my big binder. She choose "Robinhood, Men in Tights". We laughed at it of course. Afterwards we watched Invader Zim. Other then that the day was low key. It was wonderful seeing Sara without a Ventilator and breathing well.

The only problem today was when the lift team moved Sara it pulled on her foley which was causing her pain. When I told the nurse she was in pain the nurse acknowledged me and walked off to grab something. What she grabbed was Vicodin. She asked if Sara was in pain "Yes" Do you want some pain medication? "Yes". That is where I stoped the nurse. I asked her to re-adjust the foley and see how it felt before giving Sara the Vicodin. She did, and asked Sara if she was still in pain. "No". The nurse's response was something along the lines of "Oh, I guess she doesn't need it then." Ok, I understand that Sara might be in pain and need something to ease that beyond the Tylenol they give her. And If she actually needs it, I understand. But it worries me that instead of trying to figure out the source of the pain and trying addressing that first, they jump straight to heavy duty pain killers. Although that would get rid of the pain, it wouldn't fix the source of the pain, and the problem would remain after it wore off.

But other then that little thing, which I probably blew out of proportion, today was good.

2 comments:

  1. Daniel,

    You did not blow this out of proportion. This is not an un common event. Keep your eye on her Daniel, you're doing a great job!

    Martial Arts Student-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right, Daniel. Its better to treat the cause than the symptom. Kudos to you.

    Karen Winfield (from martial arts)

    ReplyDelete