Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mom is moving slow...

Apologies for delays in updates. I have been dragging tail for a few days and something had to give. So, my personal computer time (and the kitchen floor) took a back seat.

Sara is doing remarkably well. That kid is really something else. She is still doing very well without the ventilator, although she needs to start taking deeper breaths. I've been working with her to slow down her breathing and increase her volumes. She responds very well, but I can't be there the whole time to be her breathing coach.

I discussed her knee with Dr. Hospitalist. He told me that Dr. Orthopaedic Surgeon came by and looked at her knee. They did an xray and didn't see anything concerning. After physically working her knee they decided that the best thing would be to immobilize it and just let it rest. Her pain management will be the most key, as she really shouldn't have any narcotics. I talked to her Dr. Hospitalist about NOT using narcotics anymore, due to their affect on her neurologically. So, we are going back to Tylenol and Motrin. Nurses will just have to check her pain level more often, so it doesn't get out of hand.

We also discussed starting to get her up and into a wheelchair. Her head control is getting better and she needs to start getting upright for circulation and respiration. He said he'd write orders and get the PTs working towards that.

Dr. Physical Medicine and Rehab came in today to evaluate Sara. Apparently, Sara has improved to the point that they see some recovery as viable. She may be a good candidate for intensive rehab in the Kaiser Vallejo Rehabilitation Center. It is a Center of Excellence and widely recognized as one of the best stroke rehabilitation centers on the west coast. I should find out in the next few days if she will be accepted. She lit up when he said that, as that is her next major goal. We kept assuming that she would not be able to go to rehab anytime soon (based on what her Neurologist had said at Kaiser Sacramento.) Anyway, waiting to find out.

He also talked to Sara and I. He found out a bunch of stuff about her, and her goals (surgeon, etc.) and had a nice conversation with her. He is very encouraging. He told her that no matter what some doctors may say to her, he has read about more recovery cases of locked-in syndrome than the other way around. Now, that may because nobody writes about the ones relegated to home/bed/less... BUT, he did echo what I had already told her - youth is her biggest asset. He said what she has been able to accomplish so far is nothing short of remarkable in itself. He also commented to me that her face is so emotive. He is right. She is able to move all parts of her face and does so as she did before, albeit more slowly.

She wants me to rig up a mirror so she can watch her face as she tries to work on her mouth movements. She is swallowing very well, but her lip movements are delayed, so she still secretes some drool bubbles. Its starting to get to her and she's ready to stop having her mouth wiped by everyone.

We hung out last night, talking about the house hunt, and I chased her itches. I did make her use her communication computer to actually TELL me where it itched. I know it would be easier for her for me to try and pull it out of her with questions, but it is time that she work to initiate communications and push for her own needs and desires. She has the tools and the ability. Now she just needs the practice.

I got a broadband connection card for the computer yesterday. She knows that once she gets a little faster on it that she will be able to browse, email, and chat with friends. It is exciting, because that is her primary method of communicating with her circle of friends when not face to face. I'm sure they can't wait to hear from her either. Her wit is sharp, her intellect intact, and she hasn't spoken in over 4 months. She'll have a few things to say. I know my own heart will jump when I see her online for the first time.

I'm sure nobody is looking more forward to it than she is...

Onward and upward Baby Girl. I'm so glad you are here...

2 comments:

  1. I've been following Sara's case for months now and I'm so happy to read today's update. I have to say, Kristina, you should be mother of the year. You've shown amazing strength and endurance in helping Sara. She wouldn't be where she's at today without you!

    ReplyDelete