Sunday, June 29, 2008

Her room is painted...

I painted Sara's room today. Got rid of that generic eggshell off-white. Painted the ceiling ultra pure white and the walls Soldier Blue, like she wanted. It is a very "bright" room. The blue is so alive but not overwhelming. With the bright white ceiling and white trim her room is really quite beautiful. She wants me to put up shelves all around the perimeter of the room, so her friends can decorate her room and she can have all of her stuff out where she can see it.

Sara has always had an interesting room. She only keeps stuff that means something to her and has always liked to have it out where she could see it. Not really one for collecting and storing things.

With the shelves going up high, she'll be able to see her stuff, but we will still have floor space to move around and transfer her to and from bed. And there is still plenty of wall space for artwork, pictures, and other items. I'm looking forward to Daniel being able to hang up the documentation for his Christmas present to her last year. He had a star named for her. He has a nice certificate and a star map of where "Glory" is located in the sky. He loves her so much. And she loves him just as much. I truly enjoy being able to witness my daughter loving and being loved like what they have.

I had to be the first person to hang something up in there, though. Yeah, probably a little selfish. But, hey, I'm Mom. I can do that. I'm sure it will get moved. I hung up one of her windsock Japanese fish, like the one that used to hang off the end of her car. When we moved in here I also hung one up in front of the house. I don't know why. I just thought she'd like it. I found the fish at a country store in Bodega. I think when I saw them there I imagined that she got hers there with her friends on the way to Bodega Bay. Never occured to me to ask her until just now.

I'm waiting to call the ICU until shift change is done. She ended up not having any visitors today, because her Dad (Mike) was sick. He apparently left me a message a few days ago that I didn't get, so I didn't get the day covered. I feel bad because I could have gone. I hate leaving her alone for a day. But I'm going to call up there and ask the nurse to pass her a message from me (they won't forward the phone after 9pm). Tell her that her Dad is fine, just sick, and I didn't know until this evening or I would have come.

Medically she's been doing very well. The fires here in California have been killing air quality, and even inside the hospital you can feel it and taste it. It has affected her breathing, along with the rest of us, but she's fine.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the room is shaping up to be really nice for her! I will get some more art out ASAP :3

    If you happen to remember to mention it the next time you see her, can you let her know that Sakky says "hi!" and that I'm excited she can go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sakky, I'll tell her for you when I'm up there today.

    ReplyDelete