Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sara has some messages...

I just spent two + hours on the phone with Sara. We have a system kind of jury rigged. I call the hospital and have her nurse put the phone up to her ear where she can hear me. Then they setup Sara's computer where she can use it and I listen for her responses. We have tried a couple of times, but haven't been able to get ourselves operational - until tonight.

She and I had a great time. I just talked and talked and she'd drop in a comment here and there. Then I'd ask her questions and wait patiently for her answer. And then she got brave and started spelling out strings of words and communicating other thoughts she had. I told you that this was a very slow process and takes a huge effort on her part.

(i was talking about this and that, home, her brother, cat, dogs, boyfriend, friends, tower of time, reading her stuff from the blog, and messages that have come to her...)

Here are some of her messages:

"scriffle the dogs for me" she could hear the dogs and cat playing in the background.

"i miss the animals"

"tell them I miss them"

I asked who she missed.

"tower of time"
"daniel and victoria and ren and joseph and tim"

I know there are a lot more people she misses and thinks of. So please don't be hurt that she doesn't communicate that right off. Give her time to get more comfortable and stretch her wings. Everybody is inside her and she remembers everything.

We had such a great time. It is slow, but she is communicating thoughts and wants, not just needs. And that makes her feel incredibly good.

4 comments:

  1. That is just so incredible. What an amazingly strong woman Sara is! While I've never met Sara in person, I think of her often - and wish her all the success in the world. May I possibly ask how she is feeling? We see alot of medical status updates, but since she can speak for herself now...

    Best of luck to Sara (and all of the family!)
    ~Friend of a Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristina,
    Can we email Sara?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking for some of us that weren't mentioned by name, I just want to say that I don't mind it at all. I know that Sara has special bonds with these people-- she always has-- and to me, it's more important to hear that she's restating those connections. She knows there is a wide world of people out there with her in our thoughts-- I don't feel it would be productive for her to try and name us all.

    I would want to ask her if there's anything I (or the group as a whole) can do for her from afar, since a multitude of reasons have kept us away from her much more than any of us like.

    Thanks Kristina, It's great to hear her thoughts again so that I can play them in her voice in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a new story on TV the other night about a man that was paralyzed by a disease and he had an art exhibit up. All the work was made with eye movements! Tell Glory there's nothing she can't do if she tries! <333

    On a side note, I'm teary eyed ^_^

    Thanks again for the update - this blog is a lifeline :D

    ReplyDelete