Thursday, August 28, 2008

The date is set (in clay)...LOL

September 9th is our target date to bring Sara home.

I met with Kaiser discharge planning yesterday and we are all moving and groving in the same direction. I had originally given them the 16th (so I wouldn't be running around with my hair on fire) but they want it sooner so we don't have to transfer her to subacute care.

So now i'm in a kind of panic mode. I know...take a breath...relax...make some lists...let other people help... After talking to them, and then Sara lastnight, all I could think about all night was what has to be done. :)

I'm so excited, though. Maybe just a tinge of scared - only because I don't want to miss something important. But I know that she's going to do great at home. I have every confidence in the people who are helping, our preparation, and in her. She wants this now more than anything. And the possibilities for her recovery once we can start working with her are exciting.

This is a three day weekend, so we will make a lot of headway this weekend. Anybody who wants to come over and help with the preparations is Welcome. I'll start making lists on yellow paper for different things and tape them up on the living room wall to make it easy. I also need to get the list up on the blog (or website...need to update it, too.) of things we still need. People have been asking me for the list and i've been so bad about posting it (ok...shy...a little embarrased for asking still...stupid pride thing.)

Anyway...she is doing well and happy. She is encouraged and can now actually start counting down. Team SARA is all done with the initial caregiver training. And we can start prepping to bring her home to Rohnert Park...to her friends and family...to the town she's grown up in...and to the community who has so kindly supported and encouraged our family through this. We have many, many blessings to count.

6 comments:

  1. Kristina,

    Scott and I would like to come over Saturday and finish the wheel chair ramp.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can come over on monday. So count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina,
    Do you have a list of things that need to be done ready? We may be able to recruit some help, but a list would help us know what we are gonna work on.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristina,
    Steve and I plan on coming Monday morning. I am pretty good at sewing and Steve can paint.

    I presume we are making gowns for Sara, do you have a pattern and fabric?

    Do you need any other supplies that we might have? Ladders, rollers, paint trays etc?

    We are Kelly's parents, and Victoria's grandparents.
    Steve and Edie Onines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina, I checked Sara's blog this morning and was humbled to think, as tired as you were last night, you took the time to thank everyone who chipped in to help over the weekend. Thank you.

    J J, thank you for providing us with a nice lunch! I have worked with others in the past who have left to get lunch and then just don't make it back. It saved us all time and money to be able to take a short break and eat whenever we were hungry and then get right back to work.

    I stayed up until the draw sheets were finished and I will drop them off at the house. Next I'll sew the fist gown together and see if my pattern drafting was successful. Wish me luck. I need to know where to locate the access for the feeding tube, maybe you could call me (my number is on the done wall). My grand daughter, Victoria, helped me shop for the fabrics for the gowns, so we think Sara will like them.

    I think I can speak for everyone in saying it felt really good to work together with "soft hearted" people and to help in the effort to bring Sara home. Kristina and Michael made us all feel like a part of the family with their warm hugs and words of appreciation.

    Lastly, thank you to our daughter, Kelly, for rounding up so many of your friends, associates and family to help. Many hands do make light work. To watch you give service to the many people you come in contact with makes our hearts swell with pride and love.

    Kristina, please feel free to call on Steve and me if we can do anything more to help.

    Still feeling the joy,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete