Monday, August 25, 2008

Moving right along...

Today marked progress on all fronts towards getting our girl home.

I've referenced Team SARA a few times. I should let people know who that actually is:

Daniel Hattem (Sara's boyfriend of 4+ years and an absolutely amazing young man).
Nancy Hattem (Daniel's mother and a dear friend of mine. She and I have shared the hells and the happinesses our children have lived through these last 10 months.)
Kelly Urenda (Sara's best friend Victoria's mother and a tireless friend of our family. We have taken turns being there for each others children over the years. Her "come on lets do what it takes" attitude helps fire me up.
Michael Baker (Sara's brother. He doesn't really want to be responsible to care for Sara, preferring to just be her brother, but I insisted since he and I will both be in the house with her. I told him that he has to be able to do the stuff to keep her alive, but not the nasty under the hood stuff...)
Mike Bartholomew (Sara's Dad. Even if I wanted to there is no way to keep him from wanting to take care of his girl. Those two have been nearly inseparable since she was 7 years old.
And me.

We may add more people to the core team, but we have to get started taking care of her first to see what else we need or need to know.

Progress coming along in the bathroom. Since Kelly and Nanci were at the hospital today I came straight home and worked on the bathroom. Still chasing the traces of mold through the bathroom I decided to pull the toilet and the cabinet. Found a huge colony of black mold spore behind there. When i hit it with the mold killing spray you could see it "poof", so I soaked the wall, cabinet, floor...yuck. So I made an executive decision and we're pulling up the underlayment, which also has mold. So, its a good move.

Kelly has floor tile and supplies I can use, and its much easier to do the shower and floor without everything else in the way. So i'll be putting in the blocking and doing the layout tomorrow, cutting the drain hole and connecting the new drain to the pipes. If I can find an anti-scald shower valve that works with both a hand shower and a wall shower then I may be putting that in tomorrow, too. If not, i'll get the lathe and deck mud in so it can cure overnight. And spray some more mold killer on everything...

2 comments:

  1. Not quite 4 years dating yet. We'll hit that mark in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristina,
    I've been following your blog since the beginning, and I'm (as always) so impressed with your attitude and handy-woman skills in preparation for Sara coming home.

    I saw this resource and thought of you. It's a tool lending library for Sonoma County residents, where you can borrow practically anything for free. I know you have tiling materials all set for now, but thought it might prove useful in the future.

    The link is: http://www.borrowtools.org/

    Take care,
    An SRJC Sara Supporter

    ReplyDelete