Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting backed into the corner again

Well...after all the back and forth, planning and everything else, I am starting to get backed into a corner with Sara.

Friday I just didn't see it. The prepping me to back me up. We kept going back and forth about nurses, care team, santa rosa, walnut creek, yadda yadda. They told me that Santa Rosa wanted to make sure that we had an alternate for her that did not include acute care (hospital) or home, just in case. So, I agreed. After all...that's not going to happen. She's coming home.

Well, they got me.

Santa Rosa won't accept her. No way. No how. Kaiser is saying now that she doesn't need acute anymore or even licensed care, but supervision and some help. They said that sub-acute is where she needs to go, since we don't have family caregivers trained and nurses in place.

They said that as soon as they have a bed available in Healdsburg that she will move there, unless I object. In which case they issue a denial letter and I have to pay out of pocket from that day forward. Doesn't even matter that the level of care is 1:6+. Doesn't matter that it has been demonstrated, over and over, that too low a level of care and this child takes a dive.

So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out just what the heck happened.

The nursing service called and they have an option for nurses...if we cut the hours from (16hrs x 7days) for LVN to 16hrs x 5 days for an RN. Apparently it is easier to fill RN because the pay is higher and more RNs looking for hours. The problem is that then it leaves us without any care saturday and sunday and us having to cover all those hours. We just can't do that. Actually, I just can't do that. I am already going to take the M-F 8hr daily shift..I can't do it 7 days a week. And I can't ask too much of the people who are willing to help with her.

So, I got on the phone today (while driving to the hospital) and started calling foundations, brain injury support groups, anybody who could tell me if they had services to help me cover 16 hours each saturday and sunday. I even contacted Sonoma State's Nursing program to see if a final year nursing student would trade a room for the weekend hours.

Why does it have to be so freaking hard to bring her home? You'd think that hospitals, etc. would be all too willing to have you take a loved one home... I know that i'm asking for help with her from wherever I can get it from. To quote a song " I ain't too proud to beg".

I just still can't believe I let them dance me around AGAIN and into a corner.

2 comments:

  1. I am kicking myself for only hearing about this now and not having any funds to contribute. I heard about this through ToT and I'm rooting for Sara 100%. I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Here's to Kaiser getting heads out of butts (sounds like VA Kaiser all over again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I don't get it, but why do you need their permission to take her home?

    ReplyDelete