Saturday, July 12, 2008

Health updates.. Daughter and Mother...

Sara did have an issue the other night where she threw a plug in her lung and had trouble breathing until they got it suctioned. But, other than that, she's been stable and doing real well. We are working on some therapies to reduce her tremor on the left side of her face. It started after her shunt was put in, and beats with her heart. Kinda gross sometimes. But she gets that "bill the cat" ack look with her tongue jutting out and eye twitching with her heartbeat. Its really bad if she has a fever or her blood pressure is up. It gets to the point where she has trouble communicating. So we are working to address it with the least amount of medication as possible. Doctor hospitalist has requested a neurology consult for it.

My health is good, but I do have some issues to address. I had a mammogram today and we found another 2 lumps. In case you didn't know, I had three tumors removed in 2005 - the year of my first mammogram at age 40. They were the only type of tumor that can be benign and change to malignant. All others start malignant if they're going to be. Well, my 2006 mammogram was clear. I didn't have one done in 2007 due to lack of insurance. And I had one today, finding two new masses. The mammo tech went to the radiologist who reviewed it right then and ordered an ultrasound of the right side, which confirmed the two masses and blood flow to/from at least one of them (indicative of tumor activity). So he's ordered a vacuum-assisted needle biopsy for Thursday. Because phyllodes tumors can grow so quickly and change to malignant just as quick, we have to be aggressive in managing them. So, by Friday I will know what I'm personally up against.

Last time I had these Don and I talked out all the options and possibilities and decided together to have anything that came up just removed rather than waiting to see if it would change and become cancerous. I will do the same now. Better to stay healthy, then have to get back to healthy. So, I'm not really worried, until they tell me it is time to.

Besides, my focus is on my girl, getting her home and getting her better.

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes to you with your biopsy. Just keep that positive attitude of yours that Sara inherited!

    ReplyDelete