Friday, July 18, 2008

Results and Training

Ok. Got the call about the results of my biopsy. Not cancer. There are cell irregularities and they want a second opinion, so they are sending it to a pathologist who specializes in breast tissue. But, to them, it doesn't look like its cancer. I get those results on Monday. I am relieved but still a little mentally overwhelmed at the whole event.

Yesterday I had the biopsy in the morning, then went home and took a nap. Then I went to the hospital to do caregiver training. I'm able to do everything they showed me. Had to get the official training first. Now I have to show them a couple of times that I can do it all. The nurses will watch me work with her and sign me off in the record for each care item. I have to show everybody else now too. I'm not sure if they have to go to the hospital to demonstrate capability, or if mine is sufficient.

We apparently got approved for only 16 hours worth of MediCAL coverage. That leaves 8 hours to cover, which should be good. I figure that if MediCAL can cover my work time, and my sleep time, then I can have Sara for the remaining 8 hours (or one of the rest of Team Sara can) and work with her during that time. Eight hours may be a bit much for someone else to have her, so if I am needing a break we may have to break it up somehow. I think it will be OK on the weekends for her Dad and her boyfriend to have her that entire time, but we will all sit down and work that out so that nobody gets overwhelmed or overworked and Sara gets what she needs.

Honestly, she's just thrilled she's going to be home. Everything else is secondary.

I did tell her not to expect much to change in her day once she's home. We aren't going to all of the sudden have her outside or exercising or in a chair. We have to condition her up to those things. First order of business is making sure we can maintain her in a stable condition in the home doing the same things she had done in the hospital. But once we do start working - it will be on head and neck stabilization and breathing exercises.

A lot of people have told me that they don't know how I'm handling all of this, let alone so well. Well, I don't always handle it well. I've been a mental wreck the last two days, but i've stayed away from everyone except talking to Don. (yes, we're talking...) I'm one of those people I guess that I can do anything at all that I have to, as long as I don't have to worry about myself. And as for Sara ... Look at that face... who couldn't do anything they could for someone as sweet and hopeful as her. That's my baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment