Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ready for training

The doctor finally wrote the order for caregiver training yesterday. So now I can get the "official" instruction on how to take care of her. They did throw me a curveball yesterday, though. They will only train one person here (since it's not Vallejo) and then they train everyone else. Ok, so I'm doing the caregiver training on Thursday after my breast biopsy.

When I was there lastnight it was kinda fun to have all manner of nurses and staff filter in saying they heard that she was going home... The news is out around the hospital and people are so happy for her. I hope that the nurses at Kaiser Sacramento NSICU are still checking in. They'll be thrilled too that Sara is finally getting to go home. Sara's built up quite a support base in our Kaiser family.

Here's where I'm going to tangent and thank Denise Baker (step-mom) for having the foresight to not only keep Sara and Michael on her insurance, but pick such an awesome organization as Kaiser. When I can select Kaiser for my insurance (and the kids..) I am totally going to do it. What you lose in flexibility you more than make up for in world class care (at least in the ICU).

Lastnight she just wanted to hear me talk. So, talk about everything I did. I didn't stay as long as I'd like to have - I'm pretty tired. Haven't been sleeping. I know I said I wasn't going to worry about Thursday (well, Friday really - the results), but I am. She and I talked about it. I don't keep secrets from Sara. She's not worried. She knows how strong I am. I told her that I know I'm strong - just don't want to find out if I can handle all she needs, my job, raising her brother and fighting cancer all at the same time. So, i'm trying not to think about it...but it is somehow right in front of me. By Friday afternoon I'll know. Until then I'm not sleeping very well, so I was pretty beat last night when I was with her. She understood. She let me put my head on her hip and her hand on my head. When I did it she used her computer and said "Mom." She does that to tell me she loves me..she knows how happy it makes me.

She's so awesome. I'm so lucky to have her in my life.

1 comment: