Sunday, July 6, 2008

wow...I didn't blog all week...

didn't even realize it.

Lots going on. Still working on getting her home and all the yadda yadda involved with that. The same boloney from last time (leaving sacto) - want to send her to sub-acute (which I squashed). And again through the long list of new discharge planners to the case. A daily opportunity to bring more of my patience out...(and use it)..

Sara is doing great. They have her on antibiotics for a slight infection, but no pneumonia. She keeps getting her pulmonary treatments and coughing well. They are getting her up into the cardiac chair twice a day again (FINALLY!). That will definately help her being upright. The body doesn't do well when it is horizontal all the time.

Her spirits are good. We've been working a lot on her computer and communication. I've been fine tuning the programming of this thing. It really is an amazing machine, but overwhelming to use and program. This machine is a rental (through Kaiser) so I am looking for a way to buy her own. She does worry about becoming dependent and then it being gone. But I told her if they tried to take it back before she has her own, i'll just steal it. (just kidding...i'm the goodiest of goody two shoes...). I told her not to worry about that. Nobody wants to take it away.

So, we've been reprogramming screens, putting in some of her sayings and responses, streamlining her being able to email and respond, putting music on it so she can listen to MP3s, and putting some of her pictures on. Ooh...before I forget...can her circle of friends please send her a picture of yourself. She misses your faces.

Also, when it comes to starting an email to someone, she's still having trouble. She doesn't know what to say or where to start. So, I'm going to email her circle of friends and ask them to start from their end. Ask her a question. Tell her what you've been up to. You know what she's been doing the last few months... :) I'll help her navigate to respond (we're still kinda clunky on that).

Her room is painted and I'm putting up the shelves this week. She'd love it if her friends could come decorate her room for her. I'll have all the pins and hangars you could want. Daniel will tell you that we have crates of all her stuff. He and I carefully packed it away last year. It'll be a real blast to get it out and back on the walls. Maybe I could order a few pizzas and we could all have dinner together, friends could decorate, and then we can talk about her homecoming. If that sounds good, please contact Daniel and he'll let me know what works for you guys.

I spent this weekend working and cleaning the house. Steam cleaning the carpets, waxing the floors, working on the bathroom and yard. I'm nesting. My baby girl will be coming home soon and I really want the house to be right. (not to mention the fact that I have to keep it super clean once she's home...)

Anyway, that's a quickie update. I am sitting here with a dog at my feet, despite it being hot in the house. Working away and organizing things. Anybody with my number, feel free to give a call and stop by anytime. My house is going to become a very open place of friendship, laughter, and healing, not just for Sara, but for our entire family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina,
    I don't know if you saw the little article in today's (Sunday) Press Democrat or have already heard about it, but when I read it I immediately thought about you and Sara. It's titled "Young Stroke Victim..Familiy Faces Uncertain Future" and it's about a 21 yo named Bobby Peterson, from Sonoma, who suffered a massive stroke on 4/21 and has been in Queen of the Valley Hospital in Napa. Apparently his mother has been looking for a nursing or rehab center for him, and he has been refused by 38 of them around the state (he's on Medi-cal.) His Mom, Teri, has been told she might have to bring him home to her 2nd floor apt.

    The situation is different, in that it sounds like this Mom doesn't feel equipped to have him at home, whereas you can't wait to get Sara home - but it still sounds like the 2 of you have much in common!

    What a sick,dysfunctional system we have that it is so hard to get rehab for young people in these circumstances. It infuriates me!

    As a mother I totally understand why you can't wait to get your girl home in her own room where you can live with her instead of visiting her. I hope that day comes soon.

    Take care,
    Leslie Hansen
    (Tom Hansen's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Mom! :D

    Let Glory know I'm still checking in on her and thinking of her :3

    ReplyDelete