Thursday, July 31, 2008

Requesting Immediate Transfer

I called this morning and requested an immediate transfer for Sara from Kaiser Walnut Creek to Kaiser Santa Rosa. I've called discharge planner, doctor, floor manager and nurse. Sara had a good quiet night and she continues stable. I've asked them to put a phone in her room so I can talk to her shortly and check in.
I gave them a few hours before calling back. Apparently i've thrown them all into a froth and they are spinning around making bubbles...
Discharge planner told me that they are calling for a bed. Doctor already said that transfer criterion would be stable on 3N for 24hrs. They want to ensure that receiving MD understands the complexity of her case and that they have all staff and equipment to receive her.

I told the discharge planner that was great. She is stable. 24 Hrs is at 5pm today. She wouldn't be able to transfer until tomorrow and that gave everybody a chance to get those questions answered and arrange transport.

I'm going to take Tina's suggestions and make sure she stays attended. She's right...Sara will be attended constantly from here on out. I guess that's why I get so angry that the doctors seem to be clueless as to what a 1:4 nursing ratio actual means for patient contact time...

Anyway, I've got my full military attitude on today and I'm dressing that line...(basically, Navy talk for getting the ducks in a row...)

Quack! Quack!

1 comment: