Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Breaking Point.

Third day home and the stress around the house is so prominent it's almost palpable. Mom has been taking care of Sara almost exclusively since Sara came home. We had some help yesterday and lots monday night, but none today.

Mom's behind on work and needs to get stuff done so tomorrow (Thursday) I will be home, taking care of Sara, so mom can get work done and keep her job.

Today really has been stressful, though. Sara's oxygen sats have been sitting low most of the day (dipping under the 85% mark, setting off the alarm... god I hate that alarm) and her mucus has been really thick and hard to suction out. she got into a real bad fit of coughing where her sats actually dropped down to about 70%... I got pretty scared there. But anywho, Sara's doing well now, her sats are good, and it's time to go to sleep.

...I forget what else I was going to write. Whatever. I'll update tomorrow. As for now, goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. It was a tough day. But I wouldn't trade today for a single day of her in the hospital. Worth it, worth it, worth it.

    Yeah, I was surprised at how thick her secretions got. But she still worked them up. Girl has a strong, productive cough.

    Her oxygen saturations did drop, but I don't think they were all accurate, as I found the sensor was loose on her finger. Her face told me she was oxygenating, her cough and inhalations told me she was moving air, I just needed to help her along.

    The nurse situation is infuriating, but not altogether unexpected I guess. I've been told the hardest part of getting all of this together is the startup.

    But, it is so worth it. I am exhausted, but my beautiful daughter is home. And right now, at this very moment, she is falling asleep in her room, music from an ipod in her ears, cat curled up at the end of her bed against her leg, and she feels safe.

    A day or a string of days can be tough, but life IS good.

    ReplyDelete