Monday, September 1, 2008

The love and support of friends

I have to say that today goes down as one of the truly memorable positives in my book. I should actually say the combined today and Saturday.

Saturday only saw a few people come out to help. It was short notice for that day and many people already had plans. And, truly, I wasn't totally ready.

Scott and Susan have been tireless in getting the ramp ready to bring Sara home. They got the ramp reinforced and the concrete busted out and the beginning of the ramp poured and set. We even had Sara's cat, Dusty, do the honors and put some pawprints in the goo. Had him walk over it a few times just for good measure. The pawprints are so cute and I know will be very special to Sara. (Scott and Susan came Saturday and Sunday, in addition to a couple of other weekends they, and Sabrina, have been here getting the framing in and ramp all perfect.)

Nanci came and helped me get myself organized and really thinking about what actually needed to be done. She calmly unknotted Sara's favorite beaded curtain while we talked and I made notes.

Daniel brought muscle to the party and got started with the hauling process. I wasn't going to call and ask him to help, because he has been doing so much, but we needed the muscle.

Sunday we rested. If I don't go down one day a week I am useless for everything. I still don't think I napped enough...

Today was just incredible. Kelly and her youngest daughter Natalie showed up. Kelly is an absolute angel and tireless powerhouse. She is go-go-go and that's what she did all day. I don't know everything she did, but the notes on the wall whittled down and were re-organized several times, based on importance for today and the next week. Her father and mother came, as did Michael Jordan (ours and Kelly's former landlord and family friend), Jerry (handiest man and his sidekick son), Kim (landscaper doll who really perked up the front for Sara's homecoming...and her australian shepherd to hang out with our dogs). Dave Hattem, Daniel's father, came and jumped in anywhere he was needed. He skinned the ramp and did all the cutting jobs for me today, so I could concentrate on finding things for people and getting the drain and layout done for the bathroom (and the subfloor all closed up.) Dave also grilled me (in jest, of course) to see if I REALLY knew how to float a mortar base for an entire bathroom and what the next step would be...(40mil barrier, up from floor, 4mil plastic down walls to inside 40mil barrier, in case you'd like to know... :)

Kelly's mom, Edie, went right to the sewing projects. Before the end of the day she had beautiful material, had created a pattern for the house/hospital gowns, had removed the elastic from what is going to become draw sheets (half sheets we put under Sara's butt, under waterproof pads in case she soils, that helps us reposition her in the bed or wherever she is.) She took a pile of material and notes home to sew throughout the week.

Don's mother, Deborah, is also doing some hospital gowns at her house in Sacramento. (silly stuff, like Sponge Bob...)

Michael Jordan and Kelly's Dad (forgive me not remembering your name) made short work of the trees in the backyard. Michael joined them in taking down this silly barrier fence that served no purpose in the middle of the yard. The backyard looks so large and inviting now. And, we have a nice large shaded area under the trees to take Sara if the house is just way too hot. Kelly's dad also hung her favorite wind things in the tree just outside her window. It will delight her to see.

Jerry took care of fixing what I munched up in Sara's room with the paint. I have never done a sucky cut-in job before. Well, I did this time and never had the time to get back and fix it. He covered my tracks and the room looks awesome. We can finally put the shelves up so her friends can decorate.

Don came up with a great idea as we were getting ready to get the shelf material. Use wire shelves instead of solid shelves, and put plexiglass on top so she can see through it to her stuff. She loves being able to see her collections. Everything Sara has in her room has a special meaning to her...and the accumulation of her stuff tells her story. I didn't used to understand that (although she told me countless times)...until after her accident and I sat in her room. Then it was crystal clear to me...

A few of Kelly's and her mothers friends popped in and jumped in wherever they could. Post-it notes with all manner of jobs came down off the to-do wall and found their way to the Done wall.

JJ, a dear friend of mine and Don's, came and brought food and snacks, drinks and went back and forth shopping for us. This sweet woman is recovering from surgery herself, but wanted to be here for us, for Sara. JJ, you are a love and I feel bad that I haven't been able to be there to take care of you. Your heart is as big as your beautiful voice.

I am sure I am missing people and for that I beg forgiveness. I am truly overwhelmed by the generosity of people. Giving their time to come help us get ready to bring her home is very special to me. Time is so very precious. I sit here on the verge of tears of gratitude - the only kind of tears I have left.

Our family is truly blessed with the love and support of friends, near and far.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

5 comments:

  1. Kristina, I checked Sara's blog this morning and was humbled to think, as tired as you were last night, you took the time to thank everyone who chipped in to help over the weekend. Thank you.

    J J, thank you for providing us with a nice lunch! I have worked with others in the past who have left to get lunch and then just don't make it back. It saved us all time and money to be able to take a short break and eat whenever we were hungry and then get right back to work.

    I stayed up until the draw sheets were finished and I will drop them off at the house. Next I'll sew the fist gown together and see if my pattern drafting was successful. Wish me luck. I need to know where to locate the access for the feeding tube, maybe you could call me (my number is on the done wall). My grand daughter, Victoria, helped me shop for the fabrics for the gowns, so we think Sara will like them.

    I think I can speak for everyone in saying it felt really good to work together with "soft hearted" people and to help in the effort to bring Sara home. Kristina and Michael made us all feel like a part of the family with their warm hugs and words of appreciation.

    Lastly, thank you to our daughter, Kelly, for rounding up so many of your friends, associates and family to help. Many hands do make light work. To watch you give service to the many people you come in contact with makes our hearts swell with pride and love.

    Kristina, please feel free to call on Steve and me if we can do anything more to help.

    Still feeling the joy,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edie,
    You are a gem!
    Sara's feeding tube is on the left side of her abdomen about 6" below her breast. A flapped slit would work (like a false pocket) or just a vertical slit on the left side where a simple pocket might be.

    You and Steve have raised a truly amazing daughter/woman, indeed. I am glad to know her and her family.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is so very welcome. I could not help physically so doing the food run and providing sustanance was just the thing for me! Hope all of the things from Walmart work for Sara too!!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristina, I have finished the first gown with the exception of the tube access. I'd like to get it to you to see if we want to make any changes and have you mark the level for the slit and pocket flap. I don't have any other way to contact you unless I go to your house.
    The gown is fairly easy to sew. I don't want to cut any more until you look at the first one. I am thinking of making the neckline round instead of v neck and adding some t-shirt ribbing to allow it to lay flatter at the neckline.
    When do you go to see Sarah next? Do you want to take it with you? I could drop it and the draw sheets off at the house. I am anxious to get the others started, so they will be finished in time.
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie,
    The gown is PERFECT. The access is right over her tube. Thank you thank you thank you so much. She's going to be thrilled to have her own.

    ReplyDelete