Monday, September 22, 2008

Has it been a week already?

Time certainly does fly when you're having fun. And, despite the challenges and frustrations, it has been fun. I love to see her laugh. And, it turns out, all the laughter seems to be helping her.

I interviewed nurses over the weekend. There are two I am requesting scheduling with - Dawn and Robin. If I can get the two of them (maybe a third), I can resume full-time (at my desk) work and still have time to take care of other things and have help moving her for therapies and bathing before I'm on an overnight care shift for Sara.

She got her first sunshine in 11 months yesterday. I got her up and into the wheelchair and we rolled out onto the deck portion of the ramp. She loved it. Couldn't see, but loved it. She finally spelled out "sunglasses". So there she was, sitting on the front porch, breeze blowing, wearing her shades, enjoying being outside. She even laughed when she got her first "stare". I told her that unfortunately it would be the first of many. She said OK. So we sat out there for about 45 minutes, soaking up the day. Then went back inside and sat next to each other and held hands, watching TV. She tolerated the chair for 2 hours before I decided to put her back to bed. She wanted to stay up, but her face was starting to get pale and she looked tired.

I can't even get my head around everything that has happened this week. I have gone nonstop since her discharge. Once the nurses are here and working I should have more time to keep the world up on this amazing girl.

Oh...and she's ready to start receiving emails. I'll help her navigate her computer for responses.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing is right. I hope that you can see how special you are Sara. To have been through everything you have been through and to still be smiling says a lot!!!! It is really wonderful that you are able to get out and soak up some rays. You go girl!! You will have to get some pics of you on here sunbathing and so we can watch as your suntan increases. It must be nice. Forty-five minutes in the sun and I would have looked like a lobster. The coolest is you and your mom hanging out and holding hands. I wish I had a relationship with my mom like that. Looking forward to seeing you on the computer. Maybe with time you will be able to start taking classes again - maybe online. Take care and keep up the smiles! Smiles release healing endorphins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note to say hello and to let you know that there are some of us here in Texas who are continue to pray for Sara and those who are caring for her. Have had a hard time in sending notes back, but thought I would give it another try.

    Sincerely,
    Saja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara maybe you can get something set up where you can see a map with all the places that people contact you from. I don't know how to get it, but I know someone who does. I can check with them if you want me to. Maybe you already have it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete