Monday, September 15, 2008

HOME!

That's right. I'm in my bedroom on the second story typing this post and Sara is in her bedroom downstairs talking to people with the computer and the Apria Healthcare guy is fixing our oxygen machine thing.

But the important thing is she's home. We had to kick some asses getting her here (getting the doctors and discharge planner to clear everything), but she's here. The ambulance people showed up at about 6pm to the hospital, we left at 7pm, and we were in the house before 9pm. She's been stable and very, very happy for the past two hours. She's glad to be home around the people she loves, the sights and sounds she misses, and the animals. I let Kenai (our border collie) into her room and her face lit up like a christmas tree.

I'm so glad she's home. No more hospital bureaucracies, no more cross-contamination, no more bullshit. Just Sara, the nurses during the day, and her family and friends. It's going to be wonderful for her state of mind to be around the people and places she loves and remembers.

And to think, it was almost 11 months in hospitals (next week, the 24th, would have marked 11 months). Eleven months of bleak white walls, alarms going off in other rooms, a plethora of nurses and medical equipment, people telling her she can or can't do something. Now it's different... medical equipment is still around her as we need it to ensure her well being, but it's the reassurance that we will help her and push her to do anything she wants, the bright colorful walls and personality that resonates throughout the house, the ability to hear her family going about their lives in the other rooms, knowing that we're not more than a minute away from her.

If home isn't what's best for her, I don't know what is.

Still, though, she's home, and now we can begin a life anew for Sara. I'm excited and ready to see what the future will hold.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you guys.
    This has been such a crazy process for you guys, and you all deserve this.
    YAY! She's homeee!
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. HURRAY!!! HOME!!! I'm so excited!!! :D Hug her for me :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Congrats you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Home Sara!

    We are so happy that you are finally home with your family and friends.

    We wish you the best in this next chapter.

    Susan, Scott, Sabrina and Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELCOME HOME SARA

    ...there's no place like home....
    ..there's no place like home..


    I am so happy you are home! I know you and your family and friends are happy too, but no one is more happy than your mom. She is such a strong lady, and has fought so hard for you always. You're fortunate to have her for your mom.

    So, what are you going to do first? Just take in all the new-ness, and adjustments. It will be a bit bumpy at first, but with time all will run smooth.

    I remember when Josh came home. It was great to have him home. Lots of stuff for the caregivers to do. Lots of learning along the way. I wish I could fly out and spend a week to help you all get settled into your new routine.

    For now I'm sending cyber (((hugs))) and doing the *happy dance* for YOU, Sara :-)

    Love,
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching this blog for nearly 5 months now, but been too afriad to say anything. Sara doesn't know me, and I know I don't know her, but I am just so overwhelmed with happiness for her and all of you. To have her home must be more incredible than words can describe. She seems like a woman full of life and energy, and someday, maybe, I'll get the chance to get to know her for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my mom beat me to it, but YAY! anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy that Sara is home. For her, mostly, because her health is most important in this situation, and happiness lends to health. I'm also happy for you guys--I'm sure it's a huge relief to finally have her home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Welcome home Sara! May the love and warmth of your friends and family surround you every minute as you embark on the next segment of your journey...at home. Rock on!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, sorry for the late reply, but I'm so glad for you guys. I've been watching this blog for a long time now and it makes me happy to see how far she's come. I've been wanting to help but I'm not that close of a friend and I'm always busy whenever help is needed, so I've mostly just been reading in the background. I just want to say that this story had a happy ending. :) For now, anyways. From here, it's only going to get better and better.

    - Devin Marshall

    ReplyDelete