Sunday, February 24, 2008

The girl IS sick...

She has pneumonia. Results of the chest x-ray yesterday showed it in the right lower lung. They started her on antibiotics lastnight. The RTs have been watching her closer and encouraging cough and suctioning.

When I went there today I found out that they won't be doing any therapies because the doctor didn't order any yet. I talked to her RT and asked if it would be ok if I did some percussive therapy myself - and showed her what I had been taught. She said that would be great and certainly would help Sara.

I lowered her bed to the floor, but kept her head up better than 30 degrees. I crawled onto the bed and put her legs over mine. I leaned forward and scooped up under her arms, supported her head, and rolled back until she was on my lap in a big hug. After I checked to make sure she was ok, I started patting her back with a cupped hand, all up and down the right lung. For good meansure, I did it up and down the left lung also, then returned to the right lung. I then just held her up against me. It was so nice just to be able to hold her, even if it probably looked really strange to anyone looking. She's still my baby girl. I gently rolled forward until she was against the bed and settled. She got a good cough going and I saw some junk appear in her tubing.

I stayed there and flexed her joints and checked the tone of her muscles. She has improved slightly in a few places. And when I noticed she had some resistance to my movements on the left arm I asked her if she could resist me, and she said yes. I told her to keep me from moving her arm. While she certainly isn't strong enough to actually do so, I did feel resistance to my movements. I told her that even that is good exercise.

I gently worked her arms and shoulders. She said that working her shoulders hurt some, and I suspect it is because she hasn't had much work there. They were very ginger with the arm with the PICC, and rarely touched the other arm, as it had a BP cuff on. After slowly working her shoulders I was able to get her arms out to her sides comfortably, and then gently above her head. I told her to notice how open her lungs feel when her arms change position, which she acknowledged. I asked her to work on taking bigger breaths when I work her arms, and she indicated she would try.

I did another bear hug and thumped her back and then her right side. When I rolled her back we were able to get her to balance her head on her neck. She does have very slight muscle control, but is very weak. I then gently held her head and asked her to move it any direction she could - which she did ever slightly. I told her that even a little movement and resistance is worth building upon. And then I released her head and let her roll back onto the pillow. I asked her if she had accomplished something and she smiled. I told her that this is what it is going to be like from here in...small movements...and working those movements and control for just a little more each time. I would rely upon her to tell me what she could make listen to her.

I left her watching the Oscars. I had to go pick up her brother and come home. I'll see her tomorrow.

I did just call in and check on her. The nursing staff is getting used to me calling in to check. The Kaiser staff was always great about it, too. They knew I would call at least once a night, before I went to sleep, so I could. The charge nurse told me that she was her patient and was doing well. She had spent some time in there talking to Sara and working on communication. She told me that Sara was resting now for the night.

2 comments:

  1. IF and when the doctor orders therapy, will it be for the pneumonia or will it be for physical therapy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. she already has a physical therapy order. She has not had any physical therapy yet at the new place (except what you and I have done the last two days), but I expect it is monday-friday here.

    So, if the doctor orders what I did today, it will be for the pneumonia.

    ReplyDelete