Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sara and Michael

Michael came with me to see his sister yesterday. What a fun pair of goofballs... I can't remember the last time the three of us were in the same room with the two of them laughing and playing with each other... So, I got a real treat yesterday. I watched her brother struggle with the communication board and her be patient with him. They finally worked it out so he understood her pretty well. At one point her yes/no answers weren't very clear to him, and he popped off with a hilarious "blink like a MAN!" and we all laughed. I just sat off to the side, finishing her outfit for valentines day and watching my children enjoy each other. It is the most satisfied i've been as a mother since all this started - seeing both of my children happy with each other...

Michael had come with me because Kaiser called me yesterday and said they had found a subacute unit for Sara and they needed me to go look at it and decide before Friday. Of course, my stress level ramped back up to nauseated. So, I talked to Michael and asked him to come with me. I value his opinion and wanted his take on the place on behalf of his sister. I figured if he came away with a negative sense she probably would too...

The place is out in Walnut Creek. On paper it is 45 minutes closer, but the actual drive made it about 30 minutes longer. At least going to Sacto you don't have to fight traffic everywhere. But, anyway, that can't be a driving factor on the decision. (hehe...get it...driving factor...) We got there after the unit manager had left for the day, so the assistant director of nursing gave us a tour. She showed us the skilled nursing unit (old people not going anywhere) and then the subacute unit (mostly old people too sick to go back to skilled nursing and younger people too damaged to go anywhere else). The unit was nice enough. Clean. Fairly open. Two people to a room. The nursing ratio is 6:1, with two of those being RNs and 4 being CNAs. The youngest patient they have on subacute is 26 and female. I think I would ask for her and Sara to share a room to close the age gap a little. It looked like we could decorate the room a bit, to make it more interesting/happy. The staff was pleasant and helpful. They seem to feel comfortable with ventilator patients, and are confident they could communicate with her once we showed them. I also inquired if I could bring in my own Neurologist to work with Sara. They said it would have to be coordinated with the Medical Director, but that was OK. That means I would be able to get her the alternate therapy and see if we can make a difference for her. Its already been almost 120 days, so I hope it is not too late.

I also found a place in Petaluma on my own. I have to have discharge fax them over the information on Sara's care and see if they can provide the same level of care as the Kindred facility. If they can, well, then it may be a no-brainer. I am waiting for a call from the Neurologist I want to work with to see if he has a preference for care location.

Sara's encouraged and ready to move on. She'll miss the nurses at Kaiser, but its is time for a change of scenery/a change of focus. She knows that every step brings her closer to home. And, there has never been any doubt that home is where she will eventually be. I couldn't do any less for my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment