Friday, February 22, 2008

Good first day...

Sara had a good first night and day. She said she slept really well, and felt safe and that her needs were met by the staff. She is coughing a lot, but indicated that she wasn't worried when she coughed hard. I checked what had been suctioned out overnight and there was more than I expected. She was ok with it.

We talked a bunch and she had a good night and was encouraged. She didn't want to do much of anything today, as she was resting from all the excitement.

I met with her new Intensivist and we discussed the plan of treatment for her. He concurs with trying to get her off the ventilator. He said he likes to take it slow and relies on the respiratory therapists to let him know when everything is good to go for the next phase. He also has no problem with us bringing in our own Neurologist to try and help her.

Michael and I spent a lot of time with her today and there was definately a lot of laughter. Her ability to laugh so freely is fascinating to her roommates family. She is comatose and they are very encouraged seeing another girl making such progress. The understand that Sara and her roomates circumstances and injuries are VERY different, but I think they are happy to see someone else young doing well.

I reviewed her discharge orders from Kaiser and checked that the orders had been accurately followed through at Rossmoor. They didn't mind that I checked and actually seemed to appreciate the second check. While there I had the opportunity to show a couple of staff how to communicate with her. The shift RNs learned right away and the lead RT has taken it upon herself to make sure her team gets up to speed quickly with communicating to Sara. She was calling Sara "Boo" today, which made her seem to giggle. She's a black woman with attitude and I asked Sara if she reminded her of Nurse-Athie at Kaiser. She said yes then seemed to get a little teary eyed. Then I felt bad for making the association. I know that a few key people at Kaiser made a huge difference for her and I do want her to remember them. As if she could actually forget...

So, this appears to have been a good move for her. She wants to rest for the next few days and then Monday get into her new routine. She's looking forward to being dressed and getting out of her room. The ventilator has a battery unit and they encourage getting her out of the room at least twice a week. She'll leave her room also for baths, once we figure out a better sling to lift her with.

Right now, I am exhausted. I wanted to give at least some update, but I have got to get horizontal or i'll fall down.

1 comment:

  1. Kristina,
    You are a mama lion when it comes to protecting your baby girl. That you can be such a spot on advocate between the medical system and her takes brains and guts. You've got both. Sleep well. You deserve it.
    Nanci Hattem

    ReplyDelete