Monday, January 7, 2008

Good News

So I had a Wonderful supprise when I went into Sara's room this afternoon. I opend the door, and her collar was off. Not just the front of it, but the whole thing. I asked the nurse, and she said that they had removed it yesterday while she was in bed, but put it on while in the cardiac chair. Today she had it off both in bed and in the chair. I asked Sara if she was more comfortable with the collar off. She gave me an immidiate "Yes". So this is a big improvement for her, at least comfort wise. I was a little too excited to explore the medical implications of what it means however.

Other then her collar comming off, I was able to figure out what book she wants me to read next. It took a while though, because she couldn't figure out how to spell it. (I dont really know either, but i was able to figure out by why it looked like it sounded..... like.... er....) I basically asked if I could take a guess at the title, and I got it right. Its another J.R.R Tolkien book. (Hence the hard to spell name) "The Silmarillion" Is what she was trying for. So I'll start reading that to her next time I'm up there hopefully.

Because her collar was off, she was able to smile a lot. So that was nice. I just talked to her for a few hours and rubbed lotion into her feet. It was a short visit but it was a good one. She was tired from being up in the cardiac chair when I left. So hopefully She will sleep well.

~Daniel H.

2 comments:

  1. Daniel,
    That is so awesome that Sara has that collar off - I can imagine it must be so much more comfortable! What a great surprise for you. Good luck reading The Silmarillion
    I understand it is quite interesting and challenging! Sasha has read it twice.

    Please tell Sara that we follow this blog daily and are so happy she is making slow but very steady progress.

    -Leslie Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Sara's collar off, that signals that all her injuries from the actual accident (before the stroke) are healed. She doesn't have a mark on her leftover from the accident.

    It is a huge milestone in her recovery...

    ReplyDelete