Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ready to move...

I got the word yesterday that they consider Sara ready to move to her next phase of care. Kaiser is looking for a step down unit for her - basically a ventilator managment subacute care facility. I, on the other hand, are looking for a stroke rehabilitation unit that will accept her and are willing to look at other stroke treatments for her.

I had a wonderful conversation with the medical director from the Alta Bates Stroke Unit. We're trying to see if there can be a spot there for Sara, and access to some of the advanced treatments that may help her. We are too soon to know any possibility, but I have made solid contact with program managers.

Sara's MediCAL card came in the mail the other day. When I took a copy to Kaiser they acted a little like I was handing them a yummy fried pork chop. I understand that medicine is a business and Kaiser is going to now try and get me to move her to a skilled nursing facility and then drop her from Kaiser. I have to stay on top of this to make sure they don't get the opportunity and keep Medi-CAL as her secondary insurance.

This is our medical system in operation... You can get really fine care, tip-top nursing - but only if you have insurance...and only if the insurance company doesn't drop you after starting to pay for fine care, and tip-top nursing. And, as I have recently found out, the benefits provided by the federal government and state are enough to keep you basically alive, but don't mess up the paperwork or forget to send something in on time...

I offered to switch places with Sara yesterday, after telling her all of this. She said "No." That should tell you something...

No comments:

Post a Comment