Monday, January 21, 2008

Sunday, 1/20/08

Sara's best friend Victoria went with me to see Sara today. I let Victoria talk to Sara alone for a while as I sat out in the hallway and assembled another strand of cranes. I tried to find Sara's copy of the the J.R.R Tolkien book she wants me to read to her, but was unable to find it. So I'll have to borrow it for a friend who said they had it. In the mean time she seems to be enjoying listen to me stutter as I try to figure out stuff to talk about.

At one point I noticed a rash on her arm where the IV goes in. I pointed it out to Sara's Nurse, who called the 'PIC' nurse in to take a look at it ('PIC' stands for something medical I'm pretty sure, but I don't know what. It has to do with IV lines though.) He said that it looked like the prep wipe they used didn't dry all the way before they covered it up again. Apparently he'd seen this before. So he uncovered the spot on her arm and replaced some things, letting the area dry more. It looked better. He said that he would be in again in the morning to check in on it and see if there was still a problem.

Other then that, just coughs. The respiratory therapist in there today said that she had good strong coughs, and that people with strong coughs generally come off the ventilator pretty well. I don't know how much experience this guy had, or how accurate his assessment was, but it was encouraging to hear none the less.

1 comment:

  1. PICC stands for Periferally Inserted Central Catheter. It is inserted in the upper arm and threaded to the superior vena cava above the heart. It is a long-term IV that helps prevent vein breakdown in the arms.

    ReplyDelete