Monday, December 17, 2007

A Holiday Concert for Sara

I can't begin to express enough gratitude for the people who put this beautiful event together, donated, volunteered, and attended. Sara would have loved this event... I can't wait for her to see the DVD.
The event was decorated beautifully. I was immediately taken aback by some of my favorite pictures of Sara, blown up large. I love that face. And miss seeing her in action. Within the first 10 minutes there I was in tears, when the first song on the music was "I'll be home for Christmas."

There was food from Sally Tomatoes (love their food...) and Fregenes pizza. There were roving carolers, pictures with Santa. Oh. and the kids had a table to make Christmas cards for Sara. So sweet.

There were auctions of donated merchandise and services. Such generosity from the businesses in Cotati/Rohnert Park...this is why I patronize my local businesses...because they truly come together when someone is in need...

There were two bands, Blue Moon (R&B - very good, gotta go see them. their rendition of "ain't too proud to beg" was so good - and they have full brass up front...), and Jam Pact (Michael knew them from playing at Hanna. He hung out with the band after the event and talked bass...) Jam Pact played Sara Smile from Hall and Oates. I've butchered that song to her so many times since she was a baby...they did it justice...

My favorite part was the choir from Community Baptist Church. I love a good church choir. And having gone to church with Don a few times, I have seen some real good ones. They were very nice, and a very loving group of angels. They started off their day singing and came out this evening to raise up their voices to the Lord on behalf of my Sara. Michael got such a kick out of the choir. He knows I've gone to church with Don and his Mother and asked me if black church choirs are like that, or like in the movies. I told him that yes, and more. I told him about the choir at Glide Memorial (Don and I were there when they filmed the church scenes and choir for a movie (The pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith)... I love a good choir. I told him I'd ask Don's Mom if Michael and I could come up and go to church with her. He'll love it.

There were just so many great things about tonight. The Rotary hosted the event. The 20/30 club donated two bicycles valued at $500 each, people gave time and energy, and strength and hope just for her. I'm still a bit dazed and overwhelmed at everything that was done.

None of it would have been done without Andre' Morrow calling me up and saying that he wanted to do something for Sara. He is not the kind of person who wants a spotlight on him, and he is quick to spread the recognition around, but this is my blog...

Andre' Morrow is amazing. He is such a loving, and talented man. His family is beautiful and kind and they are such an asset to the human race. He took time out of his business and called upon his resources, to come together for Sara. He could have just taken care of the car insurance stuff and been on his way - but he didn't. He called together a very talented and generous group of people to put together a benefit for her.

The Friends of Sara - what can you say about a group of selfless, dedicated people... I think only two people in the group have even met Sara, but they worked as if she were their own. I know what it takes to put on an event, even if you only have to take care of one aspect. It is an investment in time, your resources, your talent. And these people did so out of love and hope for someone most have never met. What do you say about a group of people who would do that? If you find the words, send them to me...

I know there are so many more people that I want to tell you about, to recognize, to thank. I will have to do it later. This was a hard day for me, even though I didn't have to help with the benefit.

It was very emotional and a lot to take in. I was so glad that her father Tracy, stepmom Denise, stepbrother Andrew, stepdad Mike and brother Michael were all there. It is the first time in way, WAY, too long, that we were all in the same room. Well, all except for Sara. But she is the reason we are all together. At one point I looked at Denise, and she smiled at me. That was so nice. During the reception I saw Michael and Tracy goofing around in front of Mike. I was proud to introduce Andrew to people - she recognizes him as her "big brother", despite the confusing family dynamic. And, of course, to see Michael - so happy to have most of his family in the same room - and working together to help the sister he loves so much - he had his family surrounding him, too. I am grateful that this event could bring us all together for a singular reason.

I can't wait to show her the DVD of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment