Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sunshine on a rainy day

Sara was so bright and aware today.

She worked with the physical therapist today. Last time the therapist did not see very much to work with, so they said they would be back in 2 weeks - to give her some healing time. Well, today the PT could definately notice. She was so excited that they worked a little on everything. She also worked with the letter board and spelled out her name, and blue. Progress.

She also spent a fair amount of time in the cardiac chair. She is getting stronger each time she is in there. The nurses have to watch her now, as she is getting stronger. When she coughs, she lunges forward now and they have to make sure she doesn't launch out of the chair. Good strong coughs.

OH...and they reduced the ventilator support lastnight. She is down from 13 to 10 on support. That is good and certainly the right direction. She is also maintaining her tidal volumes (amount of air you take in with each breath) as well as her oxygen saturation.

But - what I personally consider the best of all - she's swallowing. They've been giving her multiple periods a day with the front of her collar off (and her lying flat, so as not to move her neck too much) and allowing her to work her own jaw. Well, she knows that she has to be able to clear her own secretions before that can ever happen. Well, today she did most of them and the nurses were floored.

I asked her if she wanted me to start sneaking her some nutella, and she does... :)~

She was also able to open her mouth about an inch, and had me brush her teeth. She was so happy to let me get in there and get that taste out. I can just imagine...your jaw being all locked up for weeks...well, all better now...

When she coughs, she is also making the classic oval mouth and sticking her tongue out. All good. She did, however, stick her tongue out at me just for fun. Punk...

She is squeezing with both hands now...just a little, but it is definate and controlled. Yeah...tell Sara that she can't do anything...

And she did move her toes, both sides, on command. Again, a little, but she was in such a show off mood today.

I asked her if she saved that up just for me, and she indicated Yes. I told her that I love her so much, and totally believe she can do anything, and I'm so proud and amazed that she is doing this much so soon after the stroke. Today was a good day...tomorrow she may not be able to dothe same stuff, but today she did...oh, and the nurses saw...even better...

I told her all about the concert on Sunday. I read the christmas cards from the children. She wanted me to put them all up around her room. I also hung one of each ornament made for her. The room looks more and more like HER room, than a hospital room. perfect...

You know...my girl is really something. I have been beat today. I couldn't sleep last night, so I called the hospital to check on her. She couldn't sleep either.... I told the nurse to tell Sara to go to sleep so I could... :) She settled down, but I was already firing up my laptop by then.

I did two clients today, plus took the truck to the shop (hmm...is oil really required...my truck thinks its optional), then drove to Sacramento, saw Sara, and drove back. Then hung out with Michael and Daniel eating pizza. I'm baked like a pie, so I am going to close this entry with goodnight. My daughter showed me sunshine on a rainy day...we all get a piece of that light today...

2 comments:

  1. Kristina,
    That has got to be the best holiday gift you have ever gotten.You go Sara and never stop doing what you can.We wish you the very best Christmas ever and we are praying for a Christmas miracle ... whatever that may be.
    Your friends from Yankee Hill,CA.
    Robin & Manny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,

    It sounds like Sara has the determination to make a very full recovery. My thoughts are with you.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete