Saturday, December 1, 2007

November to a close...

I spent the day with Sara. She was so awake and alert. Sat up in the cardiac chair for several hours. Eyes open, bright. She was watching TV when I got there. Then she and I watched together for a little while. I told her about what her cat had done...and she smiled at it.

Her nurse told me that she's been a lot more engaged when awake and is resting well when she gets tired. I am glad to hear it. It is nice that even nurses that see her on a daily basis can see a change towards improvement.

The skin on her hands is really starting to break down. The tape from the pulse oximeter sensors wreaks havoc on her fingers. I asked Nurse-Grace if we could change her from a taped sensor to a clip sensor. I pulled off her current taped sensor and showed her nurse how her skin is becoming really damaged. She agreed. While she changed out the sensor, I carefully washed Sara's hands, scrubbed off any dead skin down to the fresh pink skin, gave her a manicure and really moisturized her skin well. She'll need that at least daily (moisturizer). I was able to sneak a peek at the rest of her skin (most of it) when they were moving her into the bed. Looks real good...no red spots, breakdown, sores, etc. I would like to give her a bath one of these days and use the exfoliating gloves gently. I bet that would feel good for her...

I went into her room this evening. I sat in her chair, facing into her room, for the longest time. I sat looking at the walls, with the careful groupings of pictures, posters, momentos. I used to think it was random how she put it up, but tonight I took the time to look for the relation. Her room tells a story...of her...her interests...her loves...
I'm going to take some of the stuff down, and put it in a box for her next hospital room. She will be there for at least 100 days, so I'll want to make it as pleasant for her as possible.

I requested that her next facility be Alta Bates in Berkeley. Dr. Neurology agrees that is an outstanding facility and has a lot of services that she will really benefit from.

3 comments:

  1. Kristina
    I just wanted to send a hug your way, one mom to another, and let you know that I have been and will continue to be sending positive energy and love to you and Sara. I check in almost every day and am always touched by your comments, even on the hard days. Sara is truly amazing -- and I can see where she gets her inspiration :-).
    Thank you for sharing your journey.
    Joanna Rogers (Kim's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristina, Micheal, and others.

    I know to an extent what you must be suffering, seeing your daughter like she is. I have been in a similar situation to your daughters, although my injury was not as a result of a car accident. I was only 2 years 11 months when it happened as well.

    About all I remember is people talking to me, although I couldn't understand them, and me not being able to communicate back.

    Just "being there" for your daughter is more important than you can possibly imagine, as it provides a personal link with the outside world, as opposed to a general link through doctors.

    Unfortunantly, I see too many young lives ruined by vehicle accidents. Each time I am called out to an accident, especially where the driver is a "provisional" licenced driver, I think to myself that the driver could have easily been me, if i had been stupid.

    It's good to hear your daughter is doing well, and I wish her all the very best in her recovery. If you wish, tell her that even half way around the world, there are people who can feel her pain, and those people are all praying for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete