Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday update...

Sara did well today. She was awake and alert. She participated with the speech therapist and went through physical therapy and occupational therapy evaluations. They are all looking for the same thing: what is Sara's starting point.

When working with the speech therapist, she was able to work out with them a set "yes", "no", "i don't know", and "i need attention" signals. The last one is just for the nurses, so she can indicate when something hurts, etc.

I am glad she finally engaged one of the therapists. I say finally...jeez mom...give the girl a chance here... They (physical medicine and rehab) mentioned in our meeting that any time they had tried to engage her that she did not participate. I suggested that maybe they start telling the girl WHY they are there, and maybe she'll perk up - instead of assuming you are another person in to poke on her...

Also...I called the sub-acute care facility in Healdsburg. Found out that they may not continue as a Kaiser contracted facility. Something about differences in patient care/problems. Hey...that was enough for me to hear. I also checked the facility out on the web and it is primarily a nursing home. Nope...

I got all excited about having her closer and didn't look at where the best AND closest place would be for her...

So, I looked at the list again...then I saw it...the perfect next step for her - Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley. Although I really want her closer, an hour closer than Sacramento it is. AND, it is one of the best facilities anywhere. They are a regional rehabilitation center, regional stroke center. And I have been in that hospital for classes and it is very nice.

Mind you...I am VERY HAPPY with the care she has gotten at Kaiser. Dr. Neurosurgery and Dr. Neurology have been outstanding to her and her family. The nursing is so different, so attentive and relaxed and they really try to build a nurturing rapport with the patient. We are very fortunate to have been transferred to their program from UC Davis and she has done very well there. But, that is an ICU bed and Sara doesn't need that level of care anymore. (WooHoo!!!) I know from that scary night last month, having a very sick child and no ICU bed to take her was a terrifying experience. If Davis had not accepted her she would have died that morning... So, she requires sub-acute on her way to rehab...and someone else may need the outstanding care of the Kaiser Neurosurgery ICU. Nobody there reads the blog, so you know I am not just fluffing somebody's scrubs...

The UCDavis nurses though are awesome, too. They helped hold together not only Sara, but me, too. And they had to care for and look out for her, while not getting into that whole AD political mess that stirred up... They watched out for her on the very rare occasion that I wasn't there for a few hours those first few weeks. Just very different "vibe" to the different NSICUs.

I worked all day today. Although I felt pretty guilty not going up there, it felt good to be truly productive and get some things fixed. That's what i've always done..fix things. Strange irony that I can't fix my own precious daughter... But i've been taking on more work hours and I know Michael feels better seeing me do so.

Her cat, Dusty, expressed his extreme displeasure with me late lastnight. Michael theorizes that the cat thinks I am keeping him from Sara or Sara from him. The last time he saw her I took him up to the room, and i'm sure he's smelled her on me since then. Anyway, good thing he's an old cat missing his girl or he would have been an airborn cat missing terra firma...(I wouldn't really throw the cat...beyond a game we call "fly kitty"*...but i'd sure tell him I would...

*fly kitty: ask cat if he wants to "fly kitty". he'll mrow and walk over if he does. pick the cat up, about 3 feet away from the couch or a bed, say "fly kitty" and launch him into a gentle arch onto soft device. repeat until cat walks off... (sara started this game with him when she was 5 years old and he was about 3 months)

1 comment:

  1. Are you going to have a chance to go to the berkly facility before hand and talk to a few staff there yourself? Particularly the people that will end up being in charge of Sara's care. Just to get a feel for what it will be like.

    ReplyDelete