Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Status and Update

When Daniel and I walked into her room today we were greeted with a very nice surprise... Sara had her eyes about 3/4 open all on her own and was tracking everything. She was responsive, and communicative with her eyes, without prompting. Daniel even said he could tell she was smiling by her eyes.

He can't keep his hands off her. He's been kissing and smooching her, rubbing her arms, holding her hands, rubbing her thigh and knee.

Nurse-Deborah told me that they had her up in a cardiac chair earlier (bed that changes to a chair, but supports her upright.) She got her hair washed (with real shampoo, not that hospital junk) and looks great.

She's very alert today and following conversations and indicating understanding. I told her that the whole Advanced Directive and Sara's wishes thing had been taken care of - Mom had gotten an emergency order (with the most generous and loving help of an awesome woman and tireless attorney Jennifer [yes, people, there are good people who are lawyers, too]) to protect her and put those questions to bed and for people to quit scaring the hell out of her. She gave me a "yes" and closed her eyes for a moment. It seemed like a sigh of relief to me. I asked her if she was happy with that - she responded yes. I told her that nobody will do anything to Sara that she doesn't want, Mom has legally ensured that - and she responded yes again. I am so glad you trust me - yes she responded. (God I love that kid...)

Jennifer - thank you so much for helping set our precious Sara's mind at ease. There is no way to express enough apprieciation to you.

Family, friends, we owe Jennifer a great debt of gratitude on behalf of Sara's wellbeing and control of her own choices, and to my friend Richard, for asking for her help on Sara's behalf.

1 comment:

  1. Kristina and Sara,
    I am so very happy for you that this issue has been put to rest. What a cruel thing to have been put through. I'm glad that neither of you need put up with the burden of it any longer.
    Love and hugs,
    Carol McCabe

    ReplyDelete