Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Settling into Kaiser

Sara made it over ok. Moving wiped her out and she's barely responsive right now.

This is a huge ICU. The entire third floor of the hospital is divided up into two ICU units, east and west. I'm wondering what the nurse to patient ratio is...

She is not in a Neurosurgical ICU, but a Neurosurgical bed in the ICU. I'm a little worried now, but probably overreacting. I know this is a different hospital, different health system. What she basically needs now is rest and an opportunity to heal...so the quieter environment should do her well. I get to help a whole new crop of nurses and doctors learn how to communicate with her...

The very first thing one of the doctors brought up was a question about some notations in her record from UCD about, yes, you guessed it, advanced directive. Will they just leave it the hell alone...

Anyway, she made it here. We'll see tomorrow what this group of doctors has to say and do for her...

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Kristina, I'm so glad to read that Sara and you completed the transfer successfully. I hope that you will find it a decent place to settle into for awhile.

    Have you checked out the website www.locked-in-syndrome.com? I found it somewhat encouraging.

    I hope you have a restful night.
    Take care,
    Leslie Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina...
    I am Kim's mom. I just wanted to send my love and support for Sara and also for you. I can only imagine how you must feel, going through all this, and my admiration for the way you are being so honest about it all is huge. Thank you for sharing what is happening with those of us who cannot be there in person. You and Sara are often in our thoughts and always in our prayers.

    Joanna Rogers

    ReplyDelete