Friday, November 9, 2007

Sense of Humor

Anyone who knows our family knows that humor is a staple in our daily diet. We laugh at the weirdest things. Our dinner conversations are frequented with riotous laughter sometimes at the expense of someone at the table (as any of our dinner companions can attest).

I've made jokes in her room, played humorous things off the internet, or told her funny stories since all this began.

I asked her a few days ago if she was able to laugh inside, did she still feel humor? She responded yes, to my great relief. I think it would be worse to be stripped of the ability to laugh about things, see the humor in even the most dire circumstances, than almost anything else I can think of.

But that means that we can bring and let her enjoy humor, without feeling guilty or inappropriate for the circumstances. Laughter, after all, is said to be the best medicine.


My sweet boyfriend Don has been so instrumental in helping me keep my sense of humor. He got the first laugh out of me after a few days of this nightmare, and reminded me how good it feels. My son Michael was so happy to see my humor return. Grandma Sandy, Michael and I howled wildly at a funny story about curly fries and Sara... One day, we'll share it with the rest of you. We want to tell it to her first - she'd love it...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sara, Kristina, Michael, and family,

    We are all rooting for you, and wishing you speedy healing. Would you like some books on tape?

    The Immels (Dr. Immel from Tech High and family)
    immel@immel.com

    ReplyDelete