Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Plan of the Day

Sara is stable, resting and listening to a Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

She's a little scared about what's going on around her. All the conversations, and knowing she's moving. She's not in any pain right now, but the nurse offered her something to relax her, which she accepted. She's been tearing up a bit and I know she must be scared. I've been talking to her, explaining it, but it is still an unknown for her - those normally scare her anyway.

The transfer team is making their arrangements, checking charts, etc. and that will happen later today. She is stable enough to transport and for Kaiser to accept. She will go back into a neurosurgical ICU and continue care from this point.

As I find out more, I will keep you posted.

Oh, and yesterday the hospital had part of their legal team (ethics) take a look at their rules, her chart, everyhting and make a determination if they felt that her wishes were being adequately served and communicated. I found out about this review quite by accident. I sent the social worker an email asking basically what the heck was up... She called me this morning and told me that they were doing so as an internal audit to make sure they were comfortable with the whole situation. They have now determined that they are. I did come into her room this morning and find a copy of their internal policy regarding advance directives, patient care, and their physician options. had some particular references highlighted that bugged me, but its going to be a moot point this afternoon when she moves - at least at UC Davis. They have given her AWESOME care - no doubts there. But, boy have they got to work on their bedside manner with regards to communicated wishes and listening to the patient's representative (namely ME).

Her nursing staff - fabulous. Especially Carlo, her primary nurse. He really kept the rest of the nursing staff very well coordinated with regards to her care and communications. That made a huge difference I am sure.

I'll keep you posted.

K

2 comments:

  1. It's warming to know that not every member of staff has no understanding your feelings. And it's nice to know that she's receiving decent nursing, too!

    All the best,
    An old friend of Sara's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara, Kristina and Michael,
    I am Tom Hansen's mother - Tom was a classmate of Sara's at THS, and is still a good friend of Daniel's. I just learned about Sara's accident when Marsha B. sent out an email a couple of days ago. The news was devastating - I am so sorry for the 3 of you, and for Daniel.

    I want to say this, tho. I am a Rehab Counselor by training, and as an MFT have worked with many very ill and very disabled people - and I know that amazing, "unbelievable," unexplainable things do happen all the time. I've read your blog, and Kristina, you have the kind of spirit that will carry you and your daughter through whatever lies ahead. There is a centeredness and clarity that comes across in your blog that feels rock solid. Tom always had a lot of respect for Sarah - and if you knew my son, you'd know he reserves that precious commodity for very few! For that matter, he thinks Mike is a pretty cool dude too - and our whole family adores Daniel. So, I think with a team like that, plus all the love and prayers coming your way, Sara's life will continue to be rich.

    I think of you all frequently every day. If there is anything I can do to support you, please let me know. From one mother to another, Kristina, take care of yourself.
    -Leslie Hansen
    luckilesli@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete