Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shunt Status

Sara had her Shunt surgery this evening with no complications. Her vitals are stable and she has woken up from the general anesthesia and has been alert and responsive. Having just undergone a major surgery however, she is going to be worn out for a while.

On an interesting clinical note: Her new shunt is completely internal and actually snakes down through her body and drains into her stomach which apparently can handle the cereberal fluids just fine. I don't know how these fluids are disposed of normally, but to me, that seems pretty nifty that they can do that.

~Daniel H.

3 comments:

  1. ccgtzThanks for doing the update Daniel. I just got back from Sacramento and checked on her before coming upstairs. She's doing just fine. Not in any pain when woken for neuro checks. Her nurse has on the "calming mix" CD and she has been sleeping pretty well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are generally just absorbed through the body on a cellular level. I am glad she is doing well. The love and the positive attitudes of everyone around her are going to do her wonders! I am certain that is why she is doing this well. She is not alone in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Daniel and Kristina for your frequent updates. I check in several times a day and your family is always close to my heart. I can feel the power of your love for each other across time and space.
    -Leslie Hansen

    ReplyDelete