Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday Status

Well, Sara is doing pretty well. Had a quiet night. Just cruising along.

This morning she has been more alert, keeping her eyes slightly open and peeking at everyone. She has been able to communicate with the nursing staff and has been made comfortable.

We looked at her chest x-ray for this morning, and it looks much better than yesterday. Still has junk in the left side, but clearing.

The Attending and Resident physician came in a little while ago to discuss her shunt. they are pushing to clamp it off and see how she does. The resident, in particular, is another one of those "this is all you get" kind of guy. He had told me before he placed the shunt that it didn't make any difference, she wouldn't come out of the coma. Well, she did.

Neurology service has signed off on her. Basically, she has the diagnosis of Locked In Syndrome. Once her acute medical issues are healed, we'll be able to start talking about moving her to a rehabilitation facility.

You know, the day to day negative is starting to really wear on me. It is almost like these guys never read the internet or see other patient outcomes. A persons life, viability, comes down to black and white on an MRI. I don't know what the future is going to hold for us. Quite frankly, it scares the bejesus out of me. But, she's here. She is not indicating "suffereing". When the time is right she'll tell me what to do.

I'm looking forward to another shot in the arm, though. Someone to look at her and say "yep, we can help her...) My daughter saved my life once (by being inside of me and kicking when I was so devistated over losing Christopher) and I owe her a life in return.

1 comment:

  1. Kristina,
    Hang in there and don't ever let what others say wear you out.You'll be the one to prove them wrong.Years ago the medical profession told my Mom that my sister would never make it.She did and she is now 40yrs old.I am just a friend of a friend but had to write you to say hang in there !!!DON"T LET THEM GIVE UP ON YOUR DAUGHTER...Because your not !!
    A friend

    ReplyDelete