Saturday, November 10, 2007

Emergency Surgery

Sara is currently in surgery. When I arrived today her father told me that she seemed sluggish and that one eye seemed to be "off". After looking at her and trying to get a response from her it was clear to me that something was wrong.

I told the nurse that something was wrong and asked him to call the Neurosurgeon, which he did. The Dr. ordered an emergency CT scan, which showed that she was building up fluid on her brain again, most likely from a small hemmorage. I consented to the surgery to place another drain (shunt) into her head and she is currently in the operating room now.

She was in and out of consciousness before going in, and her Grandma Sandy and I were with her. She cried, being pretty scared I am sure. I put my face right in hers, opened her eyes, and told her that I would be right here when she gets back. It is better to catch this now before it hurts her and it will be ok. It is hard to see her scared and crying, not able to say anything. I told her that I loved her and she answered yes. The OR nurse saw our interchange and went ahead and put some gentle sedation into her IV so she wouldn't be scared anymore.

I'm sitting in the surgery waiting area, with Sandy, about half scared out of my mind. That's my girl in there. My beautiful, sweet baby girl. So very damaged and struggling just to have a chance. If she can feel me right now (and I believe she can, because I can feel her) I hope she knows how very much loved she is. And I'll be right here when she gets out...

2 comments:

  1. Kristina - it is now 4:31 pm. I just read your entry telling us that Sara is in surgery. Hang in there, my friend. I am praying for her and for you. Stay strong! We all love you, Sara, and Michael and will keep fighting right along with you.

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,
    I hope Sara comes out of surgery soon. We Hattems send every positive thought and prayer. We keep your family in our hearts always. You are so very strong. We love you. Take heart.

    ReplyDelete