Sunday, November 18, 2007

Quiet sunday...

I've checked on her a couple of times today. Her father Tracy and StepMom Denise went up to visit with her today. I've been hanging out today with Michael and trying to get some work done. (actually, I have been getting some work done...)

I talked to Tracy and they had a nice visit. Denise got a chance to interact with Sara for the first time. And they played CDs for Sara while they were there.

Talked to her Nurse-Kyong this evening. She seems to be moving towards her normal sleep/wake schedule. Sara typically would be awake until midnight, be sleepy/groggy in the morning, and pick up in the late morning. (typical teenager sleep schedule) She seems to be getting close to that. I think what got the ICU crew was that she was not very responsive in the mornings and thinking that may be a problem. Well, i've lived with the girl and that is totally normal before noon. ;)

Sara was watching discovery channel this evening and listening to CDs. Vitals stable, labs are coming back clear for any new infections, breathing is good. She's spending more time with her eyes open in the afternoon and evening. Heck...even the burn on the side of her head from the fire is healed. To look at her she looks fine - except for the tube in her neck, aspen collar and a couple of IVs.

I had a comment from someone today (via chat) that her face looked a little "blank" on the website. Let me explain. Her facial muscles are affected too. She can open and close her mouth, move her tongue, open and close her eyes, but no other emotions or expressions will be evident until maybe later. So, she appears to have a blank, open stare. Make no mistake, she's there and there is nothing blank looking back at you. Maybe one of these days i'll get the webcam setup and catch her communicating with me, so you guys can see how she "talks" right now. I've tried it...and it is exhausting. but it is all she has for now - until Mom figures out how to work with her on the letter board.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina,
    Daniel and Dave will be there tomorrow for a visit and I am looking forward to seeing Sara's sweet face on Thursday. I think she looks very good in the photo. Good color, clear eyes. I saw some electronic alphabet boards on line. My best to Tracy and Denise. You have all been so there for Sara. My thoughts are with your family also. Nanci Hattem (Daniel's Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sagesja@yahoo.com (Saja)November 19, 2007 at 11:44 AM

    Just a note to assure you that there are people in San Antonio, Texas who are continuing to pray for Sara as well as other member of her family.

    Saja

    ReplyDelete