Thursday, December 6, 2007

the porcupine enema...

I spent the day, ALL day, navigating our wonderful bureaucracy. I think I now understand why postal workers snap...

I'm going to vent now. So, if you are looking for the Sara update, scroll down. I'll make it easy to find.

It is amazing how many forms, forms and more forms it requires to apply for Social Security, Medi-CAL, state disability, etc. I think it is absolutely amazing. Everything in different formats. Everything in different sites. Some you fill out on the web, print out, gather hard copy materials for, and go sit and wait for an underpaid civil servant to glance over them and tell you that you forgot a form. Some you have to go by and pick up at the office, fill out at home, and mail in. All responses are handled by mail. If you mess something up, you get to start the process all over again.

Oh, and an especially nice wrinkle--I've had to prove my identity and guardian role at every juncture. As if some stranger would walk off the street into the Medi-CAL office and submit an application on my behalf...

At one point I had to just leave the Social Security office and go to the nearby public library. I couldn't think to fill out the massive SSI forms with all the yakita, cell phones, and TV going on in there. It was like trying to do the sunday crossword with the blender running... Even with the quiet, it still took me another 4 hours to fill out the associated forms. Then, they told me I had to print two forms with two copies each, and one form with 12 copies, and stand on my head, and recite the pledge of allegiance, backwards. And then I still have to come back, to check my submissions again, and if perfect it will take 120 days before her benefits will kick in.

I have half a mind (easy there...that's not an opening) to start a service where if you become disabled that there is a one stop clearinghouse to submit everything. You do your information once, and we take care of everything else... The other half of my mind says I'm crazy to want to get in the middle of this repeatedly. I think the latter one is going to win this one...

So, hopefully I have completed all the forms I need, correctly, and everything is in the pipeline for her. That way I won't have to repeat today's porcupine enema...

How is the girl today?

Sara has been fine today. Getting tied up with all the paperwork b.s. kept me from getting to work today, and then to see her. My boyfriend was such a dear and went to the hospital to hang out with Sara for a while. I hate for her to go a day without seeing a familiar face. I know it is hard enough to be trapped inside herself...I don't want her to get too lonely, too.

I called in to the ICU when Don was there. He put the phone up to her ear and I chit chatted to her about this and that...her cat...todays events...Dr. Immel's cute email...her brothers antics...and how much I miss her. I miss that kids voice. Her chirpy cheery "Hi Mom" when she comes home...even her "grmmssm" when she wakes up in the morning...all grumpy and sleepy.

I'm so gaga about my girl. I can't wait to see her tomorrow after work...

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I've been there too, Kristina. I sometimes wonder how anyone disabled ever manages to fill these out on their own. I have helped others fill them out too, and its just pretty overwhelming at times.

    Just do what you can, and make copies of *everything* for yourself so if you need it again, you can copy it instead of having to do another round of paperwork (ugh).

    I check in frequently, and I never let a day go by without sending you all some good healing wishes and thoughts. You don't know me, of course, but I've 'known' Mike J from online for years, and when he told me of Sara's accident, I started sending her long distance Reiki energy, as I figure everything positive can only help. Your updates help immensely, and I wanted to thank you and to let you know that those updates mean a lot to those who can't be near, but send their prayers. She's an amazingly strong young woman, this shows so clearly in your posts, and I truly believe she will continue to improve.

    Blessings to you all, and keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete