Sunday, December 9, 2007

Intersting Saturday

Yesterday was just too crazy after I got home. Thanks Kristina for updating everyone for me. Yea, the incident with the ventilator was bit exciting and it soon became apparent that she was not in distress. I think one of the RN really panicked because her stats where all off. That was because she had just gotten done coughing. That throws everything on the monitors out of whack.

This skin on Sara’s feet was pealing pretty badly. I took out some paper towels and put one under each foot and used another to remove the dead skin off of her. Then I rubbed lotion from her knees down. I asked her afterwards if that felt better, and she said yes. I know that had to be driving her nuts. It must have itched pretty badly. I talked with he a little bit and she started to cry. I asked if she wanted a huge and she said yes. I rested my head on her shoulder. I trying to hold her and yet not disturb anything connected to her. I felt so bad because I know she wanted me to scope her up and hold her and I couldn’t do it.

Afterwards they put her in the cardiac chair for 2nd time. We sat together and watch 2 painful hours of sponge bob square pants with her. I am not a big fan of that show, but she is. So I sat there with her and made a few bad jokes about the show. She smiled for me. I was so happy to see that. This was the first time since the accident that I got to spend any time with Sara while she was fully alert. Each time she was tired or unconscious. So today was huge for me.

I asked Sara if she wanted to be able to read some books while she recovers. She said yes. I have an old laptop rigged with a bunch of books on it. I told her once she can control one of her hands even a little, she would be able to turn the pages of the book herself. I asked if she like that idea and said yes. So when she is ready, the notebook computer is all set up for her.

Last week I had stated that Sara made a weak attempt to hold my hand. She did it again for me again on Saturday. I was surprised because Kristina had told me that she didn’t do it for her or the doctors. I asked her to do it again and she did. She can’t actually close her fingers, but she puts some tension on them so you can feel it when you pull against her them. I then asked her if she was doing that just for me. She answered yes. I was touched that she wanted to do something special for me, but I told her the doctors need to see her do it as well, otherwise they will think I am nuts. I made her promise to do it for others as well. She agreed to do it.

When it was time for her to settle down and go to sleep, she kept opening her eyes and checking to see if I was still there. I think she didn’t want me to leave. I told her would be back as soon as I could and that she needed to rest. She finally did around 9:30. I am sure Kristina will have an update for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment